Re-coring Radiators

zep

Hey,

Does anyone know anything about getting radiators recored (with more cores, but using the same size ends and stuff?

My car now runs terribley hot and I need to do something about this. I heard that you can get your radiator recored with better cores...

late model radiators are a good way to go, smaller with heaps better cooling ability. a mate chucked an EK civic radiator (i knew honda's were good for something) in his turbo 4age conversion (space issues with FWD) and its way more than enough to do the job. its about half the size compared to the one that came out too.

if you want to get your radiator recored though its doable, will just cost a bit. i haven't investigated too much but 2-300 seems to be the normal price if there's a stock core that will fit your end tanks otherwise you're looking at around double that.

cheers

Matt

This is all true you can get em recored but costs a bit..

The cheapest option is fit a bigger rad. from another car. I started off overheating like hells furnace so I put a huge 3core triumph rad in.. fuck that thing was massive.

I ended up getting rid of it though because it was too big and waaay heavy.

I figured it was overkill so I just grabbed a 3L V6 capri radiator and used that. It's only a 2 core but had bigger tanks so it holds more water.

You can do other things to maximise cooling efficiency. Make up shrouding to force the air through the rad rather than go around it which the air will do if it can.

Get your radiator opened and chemically cleaned out, this will only cost you $50 and is worth it if yours is old. Mine was 1/3 blocked and this made a big difference.

Run an electric fan? I run two..

Get some bonnet venting going on and buy an oil cooler. :wink:

This is all true you can get em recored but costs a bit..

The cheapest option is fit a bigger rad. from another car. I started off overheating like hells furnace so I put a huge 3core triumph rad in.. fuck that thing was massive.

I ended up getting rid of it though because it was too big and waaay heavy.

I figured it was overkill so I just grabbed a 3L V6 capri radiator and used that. It's only a 2 core but had bigger tanks so it holds more water.

You can do other things to maximise cooling efficiency. Make up shrouding to force the air through the rad rather than go around it which the air will do if it can.

Get your radiator opened and chemically cleaned out, this will only cost you $50 and is worth it if yours is old. Mine was 1/3 blocked and this made a big difference.

Run an electric fan? I run two..

Get some bonnet venting going on and buy an oil cooler. :wink:

and make sure said oil cooler is securely placed on the outside of your vehicle.

and make sure said oil cooler is securely placed on the outside of your vehicle.

err yeah hanging out on a wack angle with long thick butt ugly tubes snaking back through the grill... like the car just spat it out. lol

err yeah hanging out on a wack angle with long thick butt ugly tubes snaking back through the grill... like the car just spat it out. lol

Style right thur hahaha.

Yeah have a look at the thickness of the core and the thickness of the tanks, usually the tanks will be bigger than the core. Can usually get a core with an extra row fitted to the same tanks. But also have to remember that radiators will work better if bigger surface area and thinner than smaller surface area and thicker. It's not just the volume of water that makes the difference! Imagine the cold air passing through a thin core, will be HEAPS of nice cold air to cool the tubes. Now imagine the air passing through a thicker core, the cold air that has cooled the first few tubes is now hot, meaning it's not going to cool the last few tubes very well at all.

Guest WESTCORT

would you call a 1985 ford laser radiator a "new" radiator? reason i ask is i have one with the fan so im wondering iof i should put the whole thing in or just take the fan?

Yeah easy as its the same hight as a standard one and a bit shorter and about one third as thick, never turned the fan on didnt have to and it doesnt have a fan on engine anymore either, got it for free from a panelbeater next to work had one small split tiged it up and its all good quite a good score seen as it fits so well. I had to make up some mount brackets only took about an hour and inlet and outlets line up perfect so no probs there. 8)

Yeah would think they would be differant but all gems have the same floor pan suspension engine and box mounts ect. The coupes wagons and sedans are obviosly a bit differant to each other. So it may be the same seen as everything els is if you take a pic or some measurements I might be able to tell you would be interesting to know.