timing dunno if i done it right!?

WildPlumDx

hey guys well i set up my timing all according to the manual but when my mate came round he said u gotta turn the crank shaft 2 rotations or something and it should all line up again?! we did this but it didnt! keept turning it and it never seemed to line up again ? now i'm positive i lined all the dots up unless my mates wrong in the whole rotate it twice thing! but the timing mark i'm going off at the crankshaft aint a dot its a big line i'll post a pic but yeah i lined everything up with the bright links and dots and had the head on with the little spike thing going in the cam shaft hole so it was all set up fine! i'm wondering if this line really is a timing mark coz the others are all dots! anyways any help will be great cheers

timingmark.jpg

Guest WESTCORT

well if you did everything according to the manual, then id trust the manual over a mate any day unless his name is roger clark

the reason u turn it over twice is to make sure nothing hits nething inside motor....

i can't see shit from that pic, but easy way to cheeck if its the rite mark is quickly wack the chain cover and pully on (dont have to bolt it on) and see if the tdc mark on there is rite compared to the inside mark you were just using..

doesn't the manual show where the marks are...?

that mark thing ont he lower crank is the right mark.If the bright link is lined up wit that then its right.

The manuel dosunt say anything about rotating the motor twice that i can see.

It looks fine to me......

you sure that the 2 crank thing isnt for the balance shaft chain and stuff?

Meh i dont know.I dont really see how it can be wrong if the chain is all set right and you rotate it and the chain isnt slipping or anything.Sounds kinda weird.i dont know.Ive never done anything with the chain driven mitsi motors.Just get a 4g63!!

As long as you have the head set up right you should be sweet. There should be a mark on the cam, that lines up with a mark on the head some where, With those two lined up, and the crank on TDC ( Make sure its on tdc for cyclinder number one!) line all the links up with the marks and you should be good to go. Crank it by hand a few times times to make sure the valves dont hit the pistons and then all you gota do is time the dizzy again.

Def'