my cooling system not making sense !?

WildPlumDx

well its on my L200 ute again i hooked up my heater like i perviously posted asking how too still dont work btw but the engine aint running at normal temp its running too cold according to the temp guage i've done a termostat change did nothing different water pump works fine engine did have a leaking frost plug but since put bronze powder fixing stuff in the radiator, it fixes leaky frost plugs,crakcs in blocks etc... so it says! well it dont leak no more BUT weird thing is i pulled up today checked the engine overflow bottle was full! engine was running at meduim temp for ONCE thought nothing of it came back 2 hours later checked the radiator for water needed topping up 2L and the overflow bottle also just filled it up the pervious day! and yet when i pulled up it was topped up and all good! doesnt make sense its beyond me and i cant see any huge leaks thats would make me losse such huge amounts of water its like its drinking it! but yeah if anyone can help would be great! maybe i should dump my problems on a machanic!

Hmm sounds like a blown head gasket or something like that aye. A way to check for a blown head gasket is to take off the radiator cap, then start the engine and look for a stream of bubbles in the coolant.

Or look for steam blowing out the exhaust - when the engine is at normal temperature.

blown head gaskets will make it hot.. and it chews water. Check for white mayonaise like stuff under your oil cap. This is the water mixing in the oil and is a sure sign of a blown headgasket, yeah and also oil in your water.

A compression test will tell, don't worry too much about what it reads and more that it reads evenly across the cyclinders.

My mates civic did the same thing. Dranks heaps of water, wasn't leaking, temp gauge didn't appear to be too hot but you could hear the overflow boiling, mayo under oil cap, down on compression on one cyclinder - Blown head gasket. :(

ok well if u just got a new thermostat it may be too cold (temp should be under thermo) , also its a bit late now but you shouldnt use that radiator repair stuff as it seal cracks and stuff well but it also can plug your radiator and basically lead to more problems down the road, with your water problem u may very well have air somewhere in the system let it cool then take the RADIATOR cap off fill it RIGHT up then fill the overflow up to max or wherever that could be ur prob as air expands a shitload when hot and also contracts and creates a vacuum the only place it can suck thru is the overflow , which also may expllain y all your water is disaperaing when its cold.

i wouldnt bother taking it a mechanic unless your car starts to overheat madly or such as they gonna do the same thing as you but more systematically ...i work on cars just about everyday i should know haha.

oh and before you put that radiator cap back on run your car from cold for a bit till the thermostat opens so u can let any air out that may be there ...hope that help a bit

cheers

james

well i found out where my water is going its getting blowen out of the overflow in the overflow bottle like fully blowing everywhere! so much the overflow was pointing at my headlight and it blew it out coz of so much heat i guess! also after its blown out round bout 2 Litres it goes back to normal temp ?! and tonight i felt my plumbing and it was all firm full with air or water took the radiator cap off and it let out a grasp of air and the plumbing then returned normal, soft weird i dont get it! cracked head maybe !?

No!!!!

You have got the wrong radiator cap in i think... cos it has that spring loaded bit on it and if it isn't the right one it doesn't match up with the bit in the neck of the radiotor fitting... so when it gets a bit of pressure it just lets it out...into the over flow.... i think..

the reason ya plumbing went all soft is that when ya took the rad cap off ya let all the pressure out! cooling systems run under pressure because water boils at a higher temp when under press. in the open air water boils at 100 degrees c under pressure it wont boil until about 130 degrees. have you checked your rad cap if it is old or the spring/seal is damaged it wont hold press resulting in the water getting blown out as the coolent gets hot and expands. thus filling up the overflow and overflowing that as well as the coolant cools down it contracts and sucks the water back into the rad. check your temp sender it may b shot. hook up a aftermarket temp guage and see what temp its running at. most cars run at about 82-86 degrees if the cooling systems is working properly. hope that helps dave

Guest Eddie W

The level would definitely go down when it's cooled .Ive got a truck which only leakes water when it's standing, never when running, it's to do with the pump seal. The opposite of what you would expect but there you go.

Eddie

just another thing to check if thats the prob ...the thermo stat if that aint opening then the water will be stuck in the block and end up blowing out the overflow i had the same prob three days ago , might not be the problem but its a start.

i dont think its a haedgasket as there no oil or bubbles in the coolant? and no milky shite under the oil filler cap?, at any rate u can usually tell with a compression test ,or running the car from cold for 30seconds and take the rad cap off , shouldnt be any pressure or much pressure if it comes flying then .....sorry man lol

yeah i might check that out but i replaced the termostat the other day too and i replaced the raditor cap with a new one and still the same :( ahhh i will find the problem! thanks for your time guys! i'm gonna try flush the water out the car with a hose put some new stuff oin there i dunno might do something! i lost for what to do next! totally lost!

well if its a blown headgasket then one of the cylinders reading will be lower then the rest i.e 150 psi,150psi,110psi,147psi get it?, other then that i can only guess that there might be air in the system but thet usually get blown out eventually , try running the car for 5mins with the rad cap off it should blow the air out??, have u tinkered with the heating yet? that might be part of the problem