Mini Conversion.

Guest dreadedretard

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dreadedretard

Yea im doing the same. Leaving it as a soon to be runabout and thats all. Only doing things which will make it a better car to drive and just to put it in better order such as, carpets (noise reduction) and probably a better filter and new spark plugs leads, oil change and all the new bits and bobs.

Hi

I was luckly and got my 1275 GT front disc brakes, rear space drums, master cylinder and pressure failure switch for $450 the only thing missing was the rear inertia valve which replaces the standard mini hydraulic pressure regulating valve on the rear sub frame. Bargins can be found if ya look wait ask people you know take a whole car that free for removal as long as you can get rid of the shell etc. So good luck getting that break.

and can I ask here of CaM

May be you can help me Please I am puzzeled by your coment to replace the rear bias valve with a tee why is this the thing to do. My round nose mini shell is due soon back from painting and I have 1275 GT braking componants to fit as the above reply. As I got this all in bits I didn't see how this was all plumed up and a 1275 GT I have a pic of doesn't show the pressure failure switch which is quite large a 140 mm long "H" shaped valve it has a standard mini tee on the firewall around where this would mount. The way I thought to plum this up was the master cylinder has two short pipes down to the pressure failure switch from out of the bottom of this and inline with the pipe that is lowest on the master I was going to connect to the front discs and the other to the back standard mini pressure regulating valve seeing as I don't have the 1275 GT rear inertia valve. I look forward to your comments on this as I only want to set up and bleed this lot once and need to get the brake lines right before I drop the shell over the sunframe which already has the 1275 Alegro lump, twin 1 1/2, and extractors on it.

Cheers

Roy

Guest dreadedretard

How about a FWD Rotor mini? Later on in my life i mite consider it. I can source a standard good nick 12a outta a series one for about $1200.

FWD modding expensive? I believe it would be.. anyone know the price it was to do that green civic on trademe? any ideas?

mate told me about a 12at mini, had a 100mm stip sectioned into the middle. and all this other crazy stuff. used a corona box. if i was you id just save up my pennies and stick a 1275 in it. they go quick enough if you tune them a bit.

Guest dreadedretard

Yea.. im never gonna have the money for a rotor. Or not for a while yet anywayz. Im tihnking of just fine tuning the 998cc and just making it a real good running engine. maybe even get one with lower mileage and painting it up and getting my cousins boyfriend to chrome it up. My main thing now is just spending a bit of money getting it up to nice orignal almost show condition by doing little things like cut and polish.. fill in stone chips and flaking paint. fix the bumpers a bit. and do mostly interior work like behind the dash and headliner and especially carpets.

I just need a job now. ahahaha and my restricted which im probably gonna book tomorrow. GIVE ME LUCK!!!! lol im gna need it for the test.

and can I ask here of CaM

May be you can help me Please I am puzzeled by your coment to replace the rear bias valve with a tee why is this the thing to do. My round nose mini shell is due soon back from painting and I have 1275 GT braking componants to fit as the above reply. As I got this all in bits I didn't see how this was all plumed up and a 1275 GT I have a pic of doesn't show the pressure failure switch which is quite large a 140 mm long "H" shaped valve it has a standard mini tee on the firewall around where this would mount. The way I thought to plum this up was the master cylinder has two short pipes down to the pressure failure switch from out of the bottom of this and inline with the pipe that is lowest on the master I was going to connect to the front discs and the other to the back standard mini pressure regulating valve seeing as I don't have the 1275 GT rear inertia valve. I look forward to your comments on this as I only want to set up and bleed this lot once and need to get the brake lines right before I drop the shell over the sunframe which already has the 1275 Alegro lump, twin 1 1/2, and extractors on it.

Cheers

Roy

the rear bias valve on single circuit braking system minis is located down where the line splits from one line to two at the front of the rear subframe... when you run twin circuit master cylinder, along with the aforementioned pressure failure switch (the h shaped one) you no longer need this as it's all taken care of by the pressure failure switch and the master cylinder.... if you dont substitute the rear bias valve down the back for a tee then the rear brakes wont be very efficient at all... 1275gts dont have one of these, they have a tee instead.... have a look at one if you're still confused...

I picked up this, luckily, as i was putting all mine back together - had a 1275gt as a donor car...

hopefully explained that clearly....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest orange_mini

What year is your mini?

I got an orange one that has a few plans here is CHCH.

If you want to keep it old school, don't put a silly turbo engine in it, get a supercharger and bolt it on to the 1000 or get a 1275 from any BLMC or MG car.

Guest dreadedretard

i got a 75' austin full standard. If you were in town on Friday nite u would of seen it. me and a few mates took it out. phat nite.. more attention than in his RX s1.

Guest orange_mini

Nah didn't see you, saw one that was flared out worse than a torana.

Your paint looks good engine doesnt sound to flash though, must have low as compression if it struggles to get to 100.

Colombo had more cars on it that night than people that went to see the pope.

I just have a foam filter on it thats it... for now

Guest dreadedretard

That yellow one was so so mint. i had to hav a cold bath after seeing that one. so so sexy. It was packed out so bad. and i dont know why i cant get faster ay.. it runs alright ay.. but i dunno about the speed. if its just me i could get like.. 120 but dunno about 140 wen its packed out.