Blow thru turbo setups

Guest FUKD50

Does anyone know much about blow thru turbo setups?? like can you use a normal turbo off an evo say? and are they any good. Where do you have the intake piping from the intercooler going?? i headr that it goes into the intake manifold aftre the carby. could you do it so it goes to the carby?? would that work just as well or better. maybe not even at all. Can you hook up a blow off valve to it?? any thing will help. You have the exhaust manilofd to the turbo, the exhaust out of the turbo. the intake?? for the turbo then the intake air out of the turbo then thriough the intercooler. This is where I want to know where it goes. If it goes to the intake manifold after the carby does this mean you will have two air filters? one for the carby and one for the turbo. helpHow do you hook up a boost gauge and boost controller??

i think... exhaust comes out the manifold into the turbo and out to the exhaust system... on the inlet side.... the air goes in the front if the turbo (can have a filter before it) and out the side into a pipe with a blow off valve and through the intercooler then into the carb.. and yeah you can use a normal turbo. ... i think this is right i'm not sure about the blow off placement and the wastegate...i'm not an expert, i'm sure most of the others on here know alot more about this than me...

Ok. There are suck through and blow through. I'm only gonna write about blow through coz that's what you wanna know about and I can't be bother talking about the other.

Anyway, to answer your main question; No, the piping from the turbo (through an intercooler if you like) does not go into the intake manifold after the carby. You will need to either make an air tight box which sits on top of your carby (and make sure the carb is air tight itself) or enclose the whole carb in an airtight box. This box acts like a plenum in an EFI turbo setup.

The filter just goes infront of the turbo where it usually does.

You run an IC just like in a EFI setup and the same with a BOV, this can connect to intake piping or onto the air tight box, where ever.

So basically, blowthrough carb turbo setup is like an EFI setup with the airbox and the carb acting like the plenum/injectors/etc.

Note that the carb will need to be modded to handle the boost and you'll need new things like bigger fuel pumps and rising fuel regulators. You'll also need some sort of turbo manifold. I guess you could mod your stock exhaust manifold but that's pretty ghetto.

There is more to it, but i'lll leave the rest to other people in the know.

Blow through carb's can be a real pain in the ass...even when you've modified the carb to handle boost it still doesn't properly. Carb's we designed to work under vacume not pressure and you get all sorts of problems with float's etc.

Most people who try usgin carbs prefer using a suck through setup. This has a carb, normally a sidedraught or SU, stuck to the intake of the turbo. The fuel and air then pass through the turbo and go straight into the intake. You can't use a intercooler with this.

Again it has it's problems, you can't run much boost cos the charge gets too hot and you can't have a BOV or 'Cooler.

In complete seriousness, everybody I know who have bothered trying to get turbo's and Carbs to be friends have either given up or gotten sick of the hassles and fuel injected it.....do yourself a favour and inject it from the beginning, save time and money.

Well, I'm doing a blow through setup at the moment, so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm buying a complete custom made kit for my engine, truely bolt on (with the exception of tuning) so i'm pretty confident. They guy who makes them has done blow through setups on many geminis before so he knows what he is doing.

Plus there is a lot of support at the Gemini forums I visit so I reckon I can get this all done properly. I'll keep you guys updated tho. Hopefully I dont have to do back and buy one of his EFI kits too...

Zep, I'm not saying it won't work cos it will. But I bet you'll end up getting an EFi kit eventually. Either after you're sick of trying to tune it to be smooth or when you want more power. Also, no turbos particuarly enjoy fuel going through them...after a while the droplets can wearout the blades..

:P

How do you modify the carb to work wif the turbo?? like the blow through setup?? if going the other way i assume you need to use a side draft carb? or can you have a carb with a 90degree bent pipe going down and then into the turbo? will this give me more power?? oh, and dumb question. can you inccrease the fuel pressue easily? how? do you have to buy a fuel pressure regulater??

RT, i'm running a blow through setup so I wont have and fuel running through the turbo.

I think the best idea to set up the carb is to take it somewhere like Weber Specialties on the shore and get Murry to fix it all up. He's a good dude and i've talked to him about this before.

Yes you have to buy a fuel pressure regulator otherwise you'll run out of fuel, and just buy a decent fuel pump. You might even be able to get away with something from another car, say a commodore or something bigger.