Sigma and Lancer gearboxes.

Guest FUKD50

Im changing my auto gearbox from my EX Lamcer to a manual but cant find a 5speed out of another lancer so I thought about putting a sigma gearbox in.

Just wondering, will an 82 sigma gearbox fit into a 82 EX lancer. I know that they will bolt up to the engine but will the driveshaft be too long or can I put in a sigma drive shaft.???

If there is anything that will not work for this conversion please point it out to me.

I was told by the guy i got the moleste off that 5 speed sigmas go straight in...and Exs share the same floorpan I think :? . You'll need the sigma driveshaft I'm pretty sure, but should fit ok. Try and buy a whole wreck, and then just take it all from that and put it into yours. What heppened to the older lancer? Use that g/box, unless you're making heaps of power...

Still working out what i'm gona do with it. wanna keep it a complete car for the moment.

You rekon that he sigma box will fit straight in as long as I get the driveshaft of a sedan sigma also??. I guess I can give it a go.

i think you need the sigma diff as well, i'm using a EX1800 gearbox/driveshaft/diff, i've been told its the same as the sigma's (except stronger gearbox, and the shifter position might be different so you might need to cut a hole in your gearbox tunnel) and i know with mine i needed to swap all 3. the driveshaft should be two piece but there are mounting holes on your lancer for it.

i can't guarantee all this, i only heard it over the net. should be easy enough to measure it up though.

cheers

Matt

fukd50 - just found this on trademe, easiest way to get all the bits you need and looks like it could be damn cheap (a gearbox is $70 from pick a part so this would probably work out cheaper depending on what the reserve is)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 413501.htm

just deregister it and flick off any parts you don't want, i'll give you $20 for the front bumper if its straight :lol:

cheers

Matt

that car has been up for sale a few times in the last year or so and doesn't seem to have come along far. there's some photo's and info of it on nzmmc forums, Pelo was selling it back then but he's no longer the owner.

cheers

Matt

ps: just found out that a sigma diff will bolt in but is wider so you'd have to switch to fwd offset rims on the back, probably not worth the hassle

• 8 months later...