paint jobs

Guest badgte

Guest badgte

does anone know of any good painters at a decent price im after a mint finish its got crazy cracks too do they make the price go up too

i'm taking mine to a place next week... if its good i'll recommend it to you ... they sound liek they know what they are up to.... they are going to do it proper ...take all the windscreens out and cut all the bog out... and i got crazy cracks as well to i think... he qouted 1500-2000 in white.....it will be done in 2 weeks.... that price is for a 4 door mk2 eskie..... outside and inside....excluding the engine bay and boot....

Why would they take the engine out if they're not painting the engine bay dude? :lol:

Jerm, I imagine by interior you mean the door shuts, because I'm sure if they removed the seats and carpet and jute then you'll be paying a lot more than $1500-2000.

Guest freedz

If you got a 3 cylinder compressor and rig up a water catcher out of a big pipe and weld it and put the inlets and outlets in it or buy one thats that and then the paint guns are cheap enough you can hire the compressors and maybe you could borrow youre uncles spray gun so thats sweet as.

Then if you got a good shed just tack up some dropsheets i make mine out of plastic and tape it and staple it up like in thoughs hospitals where people got some virus and they corden them off.

I used to spray my cars outside but thoughs little bugs seem to be attracted to the smell of the paint and then they get stuk.

Get a fan use it as an extractor fan.

Dont make the dropsheets too close cause of the overspray that sucks! open all doors and windows. Ventilate!

My mate jimmy (bless him) used to follow me around the car with a vaccume to suck up most of the overspray what a laugh!

Its not hard to take the windows and everything else out of the car just get your good best mate round to give you a hand even the missus will do.

The paint cost will vary depending on the quality and what you want to spend but ive done four coats of daytona and 3 of primer and all the thinner for $350 you can do it cheaper cause thats too much paint and heaps of thinner is good too.

If you mix it right you dont need clear coat cause it shines like minta and if it doesnt cut and polish will do.

The more you do it the better you get take your time and dont rush do it on warm days hotter the better not on moist rainy days cause the compressor will suck up more water and the catcher will need to be emptied too often and it may come through the line and paint dont like the wet.

let the paint harden over time before the next coat i leave atleast afew days the longest paintjob ive done took 3 months cause i wanted it mint just leaving the paint to cure before the next coat my uncle said they used to take ages to do cars back in the day when they were doing a proper job and hes a painter by trade but if your hiring the compressor well lets just say my mates can finish guarage jobs in 1-2 days tops.

Prep the car properly get it straight and you cand blak stripe it to hide minor imperfections test your bog patches with the paint first, but most primers will take care of that.

sweet lads, go for it.

has anyone evr painted a pearl? I can get some pearl for cheap off a mate who didn't end up using it. I am keen to paint my car myself, what do i need to know about painting pearl?

just leave it for the pro's or just take my time?

Guest freedz

Some pearl paint comes out clear and then the colour comes through as it drys. Just gotta be on top of it and youll be alright.

Keep track of where you are with the job.

Guest eskyvan

This Pearl, comes out blue so you can see exactly where you've sprayed it. Whats the deal with getting the finish the same right over the car, is that difficult?

3 months for a paintjob :shock: dunno wat kinda paint your usin man but fuck that. 2k paint is the way to go, you can get 2k solid colours which will come out glossy without a clear, or you can use 2k base colour and then put a 2k clear over it for the gloss. as for pearls you can put them in your base coat, in between clear coats, in the clear coat but if you buff the job after that it will cut all the heads off the pearl particles and you will hardly even see it. but for 2k jobs you realy need to spray it in a booth so you can get it nice and warm and give it a bake afterwards. laquer is quite often used by ppl that havn't sprayed much, jus put your base clour on then a few coats of clear, you'll have to cut and polish it to bring the shine up. i'll be sprayin my car at work in 2 k base and clear, will be puttina pearl in between the clear coats 9spray the first coat of clear then spray a light dusting of pearl over the car then finish the clear coats) that way whejn i buff it i won't be cuttin the heads off the pearl particles and i will get the full effect of the pearl. the job i'm gona do on my car would probly cost around 3 grand, 20% of that is on materials, the rest is labour.

I'm pretty much ready for my paint job, now i need to know how much paint and primer to get.

4L thinners

1L etch primer

1L putty primer

2L of topcoat that doesn't need a clear coat

does that sound about right for a 4 door mk2 esky only painting the outside?

Well i guess it may depend on the paint you will get, but i had four litres of topcoat, about 6 of thinners (dont skimp on this, as it will give you a nice thin coat and better shine), 4L of primer putty and i didnt go 4 clear. Hope this helps :lol:

• 1 year later...
Guest matthew.hague

yeah they do, I got a quote of 4 1/2 grand there though! That was for a mean paint job, it wasnt over priced, just extreme for me. Im looking at around 2 grand, considering Ive sanded it back to bare metal myself.