Rhyscar's Subaru Type RA of teenage dreams... where less is more

Rhyscar

• 3 weeks later...

After a couple of goes I managed to track down the right bushes to rebuild the shifter. Feels so much nicer now. 

IMG_5642.thumb.jpeg.37cb81e6bff7e19c73c50d52a6cf55f8.jpeg

But man what a prick of a thing to work on! Haven’t sworn at a car so much for years… 

Also took on first 15km drive to get fuel from Te rapa and half way the Speedo stopped working and then got a check engine light. 

After some research found that without speedo reading and after 15mins of driving it throws a check engine light and limits to 4000rpm. 

They use a mechanical drive to back of dash with some whacky clips so will see if I can get cable remade. New ones are available but very pricey so will try a local shop first. 

Hoping to take for a Sunday drive this weekend. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!

• Like 7

So cool. 

In my mind, when I think of WRC. The first thing that comes to mind is the era of WRX vs evo battles for supremacy.
Maybe with a sprinkle of Puegeot 206 and ST205 GT4.

Everyone loves the group B monsters, but the 90s were a golden age for Japanese performance cars gaining some credibility. Generally speaking.
It feels like the rally results helped cement this in a decent way.

Having the opportunity to own a homologation version of something is so damn cool.
It seems crazy that this is even a car that is in any way still affordable to buy.

• Like 7

Yeah I agree the group A era was the closest WRC has ever been to production cars and it produced some amazing cars from Toyota, Subaru and mitsi. The European manufacturers couldn’t keep up with what Japan was producing. 

I need to take you for a ride when you’re in town it’s quite an experience for a factory car from 1996. 

Toyota was actually dominant in 95 and I’m not certain Subaru would have won the championship if Toyota hadn’t been caught cheating. 

But I look at a Toyota GT4 (even an RC) and I’m not inspired the same as there is such a massive disconnect between the production and rally cars as they were marketed as an executives fun toy with plush leather seats etc.

Whereas I feel Subaru and mitsi were selling type RAs/RS’s in a form that was true to their rally beginnings. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, GARDRB said:

My old pre-trade automotive tutor worked at Ralliart in the Tommi days. He has the best yarns and some pretty epic tech drawings.

What an epic time to be involved with Ralliart! It's amazing what they did to make production vehicles survive the beating they got. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

this is lush

I have an apexi muffler that'd probably go well on this. will try remember to measure the inlet on it when I get home

was ex a wrx, then pipe section modified (roughly) to fit an NA SF forester. 

I got it to slap on turbo SG forester but turns out seller didn't know it was na size modded. 

5 hours ago, CaMpylobacter said:

this is lush

I have an apexi muffler that'd probably go well on this. will try remember to measure the inlet on it when I get home

was ex a wrx, then pipe section modified (roughly) to fit an NA SF forester. 

I got it to slap on turbo SG forester but turns out seller didn't know it was na size modded. 

That'd be great I'm sure I can make something work with it! As long as it's 2.5-3" it'll be fine. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this muffler is super quiet. Amazing how much it’s changed the sound and volume considering this muffler has only a 2” piece at the front that opens to baffle and the rest is straight through. 

Got quite a different Subaru growl to it now too. It’s a different car to drive at open road speeds now. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...