Adoom's Victoria U0 Milling Machine

Adoom

If you ever need to change the belt, rather than pulling everything out just cut it, pretty much anywhere that deals with conveyer belts will be able to supply a joiner.

I had one in my old lathe, you just get a slight clink noise when it passes over the pulleys lol

AlligatorLacingFastnrsOnBelt_glam_4230ef

• Like 6

I've been taking it to bits to clean.

IMG_0426.thumb.JPG.a0ddf96f96e119a59ad085afd99e3cf5.JPG

The overarm support is really bloody hard to move, I've been using the sledge with a block of wood, then once it was forward enough, there are some holes I can get the prybar in. The part of the gib strip I can see looks suspiciously like aluminium flatbar..... Hopefully it's not.

Just because they look like grease nipples on your mill or lathe, doesn't mean they are used for grease. OIL! OIL! OIL OIL OIL OIL !!!!!!!!!!

No wonder it took so much effort to turn the wheels.

IMG_0424.thumb.JPG.aa09431513fe96b9a9d86caa458df44b.JPG

I cleaned up the top surface and it's real dark, like black, but I can't feel obvious scoring, so I'm hoping it's okay.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, tortron said:

They are still made, gargoyle was a mobiloil brand name

The heavy oil is easy. I'll just use way oil, the stuff I have is super tacky.

But I've not been able to fin out what is the difference between 'grease BB'(apparently a bearing grease) and 'grease cn medium'.

Gargoyle Grease CN Medium is recommended where surrounding conditions are dirty and dusty. Applied cold by means of a paddle, it maintains an adhesive, tacky coating on the gear teeth. When contaminated with dirt or dust, it does not form hard deposits that may pack the clearance spaces at the roots of the gear teeth. The dirt laden grease squeezes from between the roots of the teeth, carrying away the grit and leaving the metal coated with a thin tacky film of lubricant

That's from an oil gear information book I found, probably not much help in narrowing down exactly what it equates to in modern terms.

/I've used motorcycle chain lube spray on exposed lathe change gears with good results, they just fling oil everywhere ha