• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would have been nice to keep the aircon pump and have some modern comfort to the car but it just wasn't going to fit, the engine bay is just to small and these engines are like a big block 4cyl.

Once I had the engine back in I was worried that the hyd fitting on the rack was going to be in the way but after a bit of fiddling around it will be fine. I looked to see what I could get to delete the air con pump but all the kits just put the alternator down there so I bought another idler pulley and made my own bracket upI dug around to see what I had and bolt that was near perfect and a sleeve that was a little large in the outer dia but I used the Makita technique to reduce it as I don't have a lathe. I lined up the pulley with straight edges and tack welded it in place then took it off and fully welded it and gave it a coat or two of paint. And that was a days activity.

As the size of the pulley is smaller than the one on the aircon pump the belt has no tension on it so I will have to lift up the top idler pulley to compensate.

IMG_0514 sm.jpg

IMG_0516 sm.jpg

• Like 7

Today I made up a small bracket to lift the top idler pulley up enough so the belt tensioner could get the belt tensioned.

I also finished welding up the engine mounts and hit them with some Hammerite paint to finish them off. It's nice to get a few things finished.

IMG_E0519 sm.jpg

IMG_E0518 sm.jpg

• Like 9

Tiger Tamers 1964 Hillman Minx Project - Project Discussion - oldschool.co.nz

I was originally supplied with the wrong pressure release bearing which they have replaced so I bolted it all together. I didn't fit the clutch plate so I didn't have to fight the spline alignment until I know I have the set up right. It doesn't seem right to me and I think I have followed the instruction correctly. The position of the clutch fork with the slave cyl fitted has the release bearing about 5mm from contacting the pressure plate but leaves SFA space for the slave cyl push rod. 

I have included the instructions in case I am missing something obvious to someone else. Cheers

IMG_0525 sm.jpg

IMG_0523 sm.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped the gas tank out today which was a bit of a mission as the bolts were well rusted to the nuts and two of the cages holding the nuts gave way. In fact part of the boot floor gave way. It must have had water sitting in the sunken areas the nuts are held and has rusted. Someone has slapped on some por15 by the looks to solve the problem but without any prep work done. 

Looks like I am going to have to do some rust work on them and completely rebuild one of them. I will see how the others clean up, fingers crossed.

The tank is in surprisingly good nic with only a bit of surface rust on the outside and a touch on the inside. Absolutely no crap came out when I drained it. I will still seal it since it is out and I have everything I need to do the job.

IMG_0546 sm.jpg

• Like 5

Sealed the tank, probably should have left it to drain a bit longer as I have a wee puddle of POR15 sealer there. I don't think it will matter as that stuff still cures like that anyway. I gave it a poke with a long screwdriver and it was solid.

I also started on fixing the rust in the boot floor where the fuel tank bolts in.

IMG_0558 sm.jpg

IMG_0562 sm.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress on the boot floor. The floor is not really that even al all. It will need some filler after a bit more grinding but is quite close now. I gave it a coat of epoxy etch primer to protect it and will help find the high spots later. 

• IMG_0579sm.thumb.jpg.de12542a3e07bb5912afa177238e31b4.jpgIMG_0580sm.thumb.jpg.8ef175c31c560d7f94450d4842641f40.jpg
  • Like 7