• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Minx diff is out, YAY. I will offer up the Avenger diff tomorrow and see how it looks. The lower arms are about 140mm short of the Minx leaf spring front mounts, and because the upper arms mount to the top of the diff head, means they would need to pass through the rear seat. The Avenger diff I bought is a rusty mess really. It has been sitting on the ground for some time, though it does turn smoothly by hand. Much better than the minx diff.

image0.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. 3mm fish plates are fine for the thickness of the chassis so that is what I shall use. 

I needed to address the gear box mounting through the chassis and needed to add crush tubes. I have been trying to find something I could use without having to make it.  I need something with a bore size of 9.5 - 10mm. I found some thin wall tube with a wall thickness of 1.6mm which I was tempted to use but ended up using some 16mm round and drilling it out to 10mm. I don't have a lathe, so I had to use my drill press. Never quite comes out central at the other end.

I made up the driver side (fish plates both sides of the chassis) and tac welded it in place. Tried the bracket for the gearbox cross member and it all fits together nicely. I am not going to try and weld it in with the car at this height. It's like trying to weld and do Yoga at the same time. I need to get it up higher so I can at least sit and weld at a comfortable level.

IMG_0024 sm.jpg

IMG_0023 sm.jpg

• Like 5

I made up the plates and crush tubes for the passenger side chassis rail and tac welded them in place. I had to cut both ends off my gearbox cross member and set it all up again and reweld them back on. I gave it a quick coat of Hammarite paint and fitted it. I need to slightly enlarge two of the gearbox mount holes.

I also got the front cross member back today from the engineers who have set up the Brembo calipers and vented disc's. They also had to shorten the inner tie rods and make up adapters to fit the Hillman tie rods. It's looking good and I am very happy with the work done. Tomorrow I will fit it and connect up the steering column and check it over.

I also picked up another Avenger diff which is in far better condition externally. I will strip down the other one and keep it for spare parts.

IMG_0028 sm.jpg

IMG_0029 sm.jpg

IMG_0030 sm.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A small update. I have been working away getting the trailing arm mounts and fish plates welded in. Awkward work but getting there. 

Anyway, I needed to get the spring perches for the rear springs from a Donar Avenger. There is not a lot of difference between the chassis angle and room for the spring between the Minx and Avenger, only about 20mm. 

So I headed off up to Putaruru to cut them out of the Donar car. On the way there I stopped for lunch out at Arapuni and bravely managed to walk the first 15m of the swing bridge and suddenly realized the time and I had to get to where I needed to go and didn't have time to complete the crossing . Never mind another day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4