Jump to content

A Poor Mans Defender.... SIIA 109


nzstato
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been starting on these door skins.  Went down to Paynes Alluminium to buy a few sheets and met the absolute GC of an owner.  When he learnt I was making door skins for a LR he personally went out to the warehouse and got about 3 of his guys to scurry around looking for what I needed.  When the sheets werent going to fit into my truck he got another one of the guys in the yarn to put them on their shop truck and drop them to my house.  They've got 4 depots across the country and national accounts, and they did that for 2x sheets of a cash sale.....

Anywho, back to making these skins, I'm doing the rear 'barn' door first.....

IMG_0990.thumb.jpg.8855fd0f2f2f6f430377b3ffc8bec868.jpg

Peeled the original back to the frame...

IMG_0991.thumb.jpg.3e8008203a2ca0240eb0f44b344d8c2e.jpg

Then after a bunch of measuring (there is a slight taper/narrowing to the top of this skin) I folded the edges over.  This is me doing the top edge, my folder isnt quite long enough to do this length but it will do the sides.  The cheap alternative is to line your fold up with a straight piece of steel, clamp it to that and then form the break with a soft hammer and a dolly to stop the rest of the sheet curving back.  In doing this I did stretch the fold a bit in the middle which caused a curve (this alloy moves really quick), no problem as will use my kick shrinker to bring it back straight

IMG_0992.thumb.jpg.572f092c1ac77043575cec1a2c05d092.jpg

Fold the side edges down on my panbrake and a quick test fit...  IMG_0993.thumb.jpg.a0c6beff97f10a8e6b4db5e2d26d0a57.jpg

 

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have transfer box #3 to see if this one is any good. Later suffix D (Barry points there...).

IMG_1181.thumb.jpg.9aa9fd3644049eb7ca177218b9223d05.jpg

After cleaning all the crud off it this one turned into a minter, didnt bother pulling the shaft/bearings as other than a little bit of spline wear (I really cant be choosey at this point..)looked in great nick.

IMG_1187.thumb.jpg.61f5002d4fe80b3bbf9722edc837a4bc.jpg

Got it all mounted back in, new gaskets/orings etc, all went reasonably well

IMG_1190.thumb.jpg.a4de2e8ccda961614976ec42a489e92e.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still plugging away but have been a bit slow...

Roof has been stripped and I've fixed up a few holes and redone some of the rivets

IMG_1366.thumb.jpg.85cef1d1a7d420d1ffd061ca79a6bd7f.jpg

Its pretty tight in my single garage now... am working on the cab sides to mount fixed glass rather than the original sliders.

IMG_1365.thumb.jpg.31893ae29592667ce64c69a195801038.jpg

Resoldered on the fuel gauge and cut some new gaskets.  Need to fix it back into the chassis so I can drive it round into the shed and start mounting up some of these body panels. 

IMG_1371.thumb.jpg.6cde570e76682c7790d0a895a2c1ad35.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...