Bling

Bling's AE70 Hardtop

Didn't do much over winter as I can't finish rust work till it's warm enough to park it outside all day to dry.

So just a quick update, will try get the next one out a bit quicker. 

Have been pulling the front end apart to send parts away to be worked on. So figured i'd replace all consumables while I was in there. Out came the steering rack, which had about 5mm of grime on it, along with crossmember. Whipped both those out and left the engine in the bay supported on blocks. Excuse the blur. Rack and cross-member are now clean as a whistle. Replaced the tie rod ends and boots on the rack.

IMG_20191010_153001.jpg.c6e843bdaaa5749d3d7bf484cf21359b.jpg

Pulled the suspension out, chopped it and sent it off to Barry @ MRP to work his magic. Brakes also came off for a "service". Wasn't till I took the wheels off I realised this car came with the big brake option, 200mm of stopping power. Winding down the windows would likely slow the car faster.

The old:

IMG_20191007_164601.jpg.2121b0206b2178944625cd1e5ab51db7.jpg

New 276mm vs old 200mm, with Wilwood calipers to match (too lazy to find that photo):

Untitled.jpg.55a4d34ba2d752f0fe26ff5dee320a00.jpg

brakes.jpg.7b7232c85fa51ba6407a8614ec2da56e.jpg

Bits from RockAuto, three orders so far, filling my cart as I work through the car. Anything consumable is being replaced to save it failing later on. To a point anyway, not made of money.

IMG_20191022_165028.jpg.2a51dc3e5b15717de7a7e087e8c1136a.jpg

So that's it for now, aiming to have it on the road by the end of summer, pending rust work progress. All of the above bits will hopefully provide some motivation to keep working on it in the meantime. Choice.

• Like 9

Yeah so it wasn't that sound after all... pwned.

10 months since I cut sections out of the doors, not much has changed there. Not really sure where the time has gone. Had the radiator recored with auto trans cooler removed. Had the heater core remade, reusing a couple of parts, but new core at least. A bunch more coin spent on new parts has chipped away at savings. Still chasing a few bits, and getting pissed around by people on facebook going back on deals. Shortened time frame due to next years addition (kids fred) means I need to properly pull finger on this. Dropped the diff into undercar service centre a while back, had them freshen it all up with new cylinders, shoes and skimmed drums. So that is waiting to go back in currently. Have some rust to sort in rear wheel arch, so will do that while diff is out due to bonus space. Not sure how to fix it though, so i've been putting it off. Battling a few other issues too, but will cover those in later updates.

Anyway, some pics for fred. Those following along on Insta will have seen many of these.

I removed the whole heater system, stripped it all down and cleaned it out. 38 years worth of grime wasn't pleasant. Had the heater core sorted at that point. Most of AC system has been removed for paint work, i've left all of the inside parts installed though so can easily put the engine bay parts back if wanted.

IMG_20200619_150110.thumb.jpg.0733def0cc44c35dc9fdcf7bb8a2211d.jpg

Heater core and replacement brake master cylinder. Master was pretty gummed up so rather that fart around with it, I got a new one.

IMG_20200619_150216.jpg.6a30d4480cb7fdd85b1df622e2a28b6c.jpg

Recored radiator, another thing off the list. Amazing how fast money goes down the hole.

IMG_20200801_140945.jpg.1ad5f034ac93fb835f31a88b88326d45.jpg

Gave the booster a good clean up too and paint job. Tested it before doing that though, seems to be functioning as it should.

IMG_20200822_112452.thumb.jpg.f13cf10ebf8bd1d05e4809f4b5b6ae08.jpg

As it sits now, minus the diff. Space is limited to the point I need to be a contortionist to get to passenger side, which the guard needs fixing. Yay.

IMG_20200702_145641.jpg.33c7e6b53c5c9b11d86a3130110fd017.jpg

Aiming for another update in a couple of weeks. Weather / motivation dependent. 

• Like 9

So yeah, famous last words last month with brakes together for last time. Turns out that all the bolts I got with the brakes are unsuitable. 12.9 bolts are not suitable for cyclic loading and use with steering, suspension or brakes. As per the Car Construction Manual. 10.9 and 8.8 are fine. They would probably be fine, but not something I can be bothered replacing later if they get picked up. So grabbed all the replacement bolts and Nord-Lock washers this arvo. Pulled it all to bits, replaced bolts / nuts (including the also unsuitable nylocs (thanks for the heads up @cletus) previously shown) and added so more grease for good measure. 

Since last update i've had the front edge of the bonnet repaired as it was rusting in the seam and had blown out more than a fat person in a cake shop. I had a pro do that as i'd most likely fuck it up. I also finished welding in the door patches and remade the bottom corners. Ground it all back and dropped the doors at the restoration man. He will remove the distortion in the first door I did. He gave me some tips for repairing the second door and it made all the difference to the end result. I have dropped him that one too though as there were a couple of hollows in the door to pop out. Should get those back in a week or so hopefully.

Ordered tyres last week after asking in spam about sidewall sizes. Went with RE003's as they were one of two tyres I was looking into and @xsspeed mentioned the sidewalls aren't extreme. Getting them fitted to wheels tomorrow arvo, so will give the wheel bolts a quick polish, last minute spec. Have been spending all my time on other car jobs until I knew tyres had arrived in stock. Fingers crossed the weak offset wheels fit on the front without contacting the struts. Coilovers means thicker diameter shock body by probably 10mm or so. So it makes it a really tight fit to jam a 7" tyre between the strut and stock wheel arch. Nothing extreme here size wise, it doesn't need it. Closer the wheel sits to the shock the lower I can probably get it before it rubs. 

Will be doing some sanding of bog and priming to finish out this week. Will likely need to get some more colour match cans as I don't have the space to use proper gun, so proper backyard shit job it is. Don't really care what it looks like though at this point, just need it in for cert next month. Which if you looked at the car in person, you'd just laugh and go with "yeah right"

Photo so this isn't a photo-less update.

fred.jpg.fe4985c99019dc77b2db6153a340dc35.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1