Need help finding Main Crank Studs

bonkas

Hey Guys, Have hit another snag just as I am at the point to put this engine together - G63B.

The main studs I had bought which were supposed to fit this engine... dont.

The Original Bolts are 2.8"(69mm) in length with 1"(25mm)x1.25mm thread.

The new studs are 11mm and not 10mm required and also have a total length of 3.8" (96.52mm) - This means the when the studs are installed there is not enough thread to tighten things down as there is only EXACTLY enough thread to tighten the bolt to the height on the caps (Have not tested as they are too large (11mm vs 10mm required so only going by my eyeball and calculations in my head).

All I can find in 10mm is the above length which will not fit.

Does anyone know a model number of ARP studs which are 10mm roughly 1"(25mm) thread on each end and maybe 3-3.5" in total length.

Or even if anyone knows of a ARP dealer in NZ I can call to find something to suit?

What is the part number of the ones you have?

As far as I know the mains are near enough the same for sohc and dohc 6 or 7 bolt.

RPW sell the same kit for them all http://shop.rpw.com.au/online-store/products-by-vehicle-manufacturer-2/mitsubishi/mitsubishi-starion-turbo/engine-products-starion-turbo-4g63/main-stud-kit-mitsubishi-4g63-detail.html but you are better dealing with Sta parts as it will be much cheaper http://www.staparts.co.nz/View-A-Product?id=401&Productid=Main stud kit Mitsubishi 2.0L 4G63 dohc 16 valve 2-bolt hex

7 minutes ago, dwlee said:

What is the part number of the ones you have?

As far as I know the mains are near enough the same for sohc and dohc 6 or 7 bolt.

RPW sell the same kit for them all http://shop.rpw.com.au/online-store/products-by-vehicle-manufacturer-2/mitsubishi/mitsubishi-starion-turbo/engine-products-starion-turbo-4g63/main-stud-kit-mitsubishi-4g63-detail.html but you are better dealing with Sta parts as it will be much cheaper http://www.staparts.co.nz/View-A-Product?id=401&Productid=Main stud kit Mitsubishi 2.0L 4G63 dohc 16 valve 2-bolt hex

Yup they are what I have been able to find online. but they are too long, then need to be half an inch or so shorter in order to give enough thread to tighten down onto.

4 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

i had to get a head drilled out for larger head studs a few years ago , could be an option if you can't sus anything else out. we had to enlarge one of the rear ones a bit more for the oil supply too. was evo 3 head on a 6 bolt vr4 block.

It's the block im having issues with, Cant find crank bearing cap studs to suit - Would much prefer studs over stock bolts.

@dwlee Yep I think you are bang on, I never double read the label on these when I bought them, it lists them as '94 onwards. Part No. 207-4203. I bought them from an Ex worker of the engine builders when I was in there getting work done, he assured me "all '63's are the same mayyyyteee" err no they are not, my fault for not confirming and they never bothered to check either.

After giving this some second thought after a bit (I was getting a bit worked up about my dissapointment) I think the part numbers above might just work.

Here is a picture I took to simulate  how far the stud will protrude from the block when fully inserted, with the ~3mm washer it will give 1-2mm of clearance to tighten the nut.

20180110_215242.jpg