EFI_LC

Ok so I got myself a replacement Engine as the old one was broken from day one.

In fact I got the whole car which had Frontal damage and even though the radiator was banana'd it was still holding water

Now for the problem, motor and box are sitting in the old girl and i went to put my modified driveshaft in and it will fit the spline but only go in about 1-2cms and feels like it is hitting something.

So I figure I will try the Altezza one and same thing, checked and no keyway (No missing Spline).

Am I missing something here, has something dropped down or what the hell, any ideas appreciated?

The other box thats behind the old motor is fine, the shortened Starlet driveshaft fits as does the wrecked Altezza one

Is the spline all clean,  not rusty etc,?

How badly damaged was the car?  Chassis pretty straightish?

Mildly thinking maybe something has happened in the accident where the drive shaft has punched into the back of the trans.  So does the seal look undamaged and end of drive shaft ok?

16 hours ago, Seedy Al said:

Is the spline all clean,  not rusty etc,?

How badly damaged was the car?  Chassis pretty straightish?

Mildly thinking maybe something has happened in the accident where the drive shaft has punched into the back of the trans.  So does the seal look undamaged and end of drive shaft ok?

So I had a good look last night and everything looks like the one I was using.

Everything looks perfect, absolutely clean driveshaft and I have 2 driveshafts and a cut down yoke which I use to plug in so that oil doesn't pour out the back and all 3 will not go into the gearbox.I have come to the conclusion that they hitting on the internal casing which would indicate that the final shaft may be slightly off centre enough to cause clearance issue with the internal casing.

The 1 thing is I only pulled 1 out the back a few days ago.

I can wiggle it and it goes in a little more but then I cannot turn it which makes me think the gearbox final shaft is not dead centre. ) I will check this tonight as I was busy taking stuff of the donor car last night but it could be as little as 1 mm.

The frontal damage was enough to break both engine mounts and but not the gearbox mount, partly because it wedged itself against the tunnel, it selects gears fine and i can turn the spline with my fingers when in neutral exactly like the good one

Dam i might have to remove the lot and split it all

Hmmm. Deff something going on then.  Either bent shaft or damaged shaft output thrust bearing (the round thrust bearing the the joke slips into in the back of the gear box)

I went through a few of these on an auto I had where I had lowered it so much the drive shaft length became to short and was mashing the back of the box.

I think you may have answered your own question.

"but not the gearbox mount, partly because it wedged itself against the tunnel,"

While the mount may not have broken the impact that wedged it in may have put enough lateral force to bend the output sharft or the tail housing.

You've only got to watch a few slo mo crash vids to see how much stuff actualy moves in an impact and modern engine mounts are made of stout stuff, it takes a lot of force to break them.

On 1/10/2017 at 20:32, Seedy Al said:

Without knowing these specific toyota gear boxes, can the rear housing be removed off the box with out to much trouble? 

Yep piece of cake, anything further from there is a giant pain in the balls though haha.

Thanks for the quick responses and it is now sorted and was simple although i was held up doing this as was under doctors orders and had to wait for a recent wound to heal.

I got thinking about this and decided to cast my mind back to when I was a teen... What did ya do when ya couldn't get your shaft in the hole? Add some lube and as Happy Gilmore would say, just tap tap tap in the hole and now it turns freely. looks like it was a just a tad dry and tight with almost no tolerance..

I hate forcing things and come from the oldschool way of thought, if it don't fit, don't force it. Which is almost the opposite these days when you see how you have to take the back off some phones :)