Rx7 Alternator Wiring

mattj

Hey, I am in the process of wiring up my Anglia with a s5 rx7 alternator, I found this diagram on the net

altinstall_zps1soyzphm.jpg

the car previously had a generator in it so I have binned the voltage regulator and got rid of any wires that were no longer required

The wiring of the alternator looks pretty straight forward, the only thing is the dash wire that goes to the L terminal, my question is does this need to be connected to anything in order for the alternator to function or is it just to run the dash light?

Ideally I would like to have some feedback to the generator light on the dash but this isn't really important.

Anyway I figured there was a good chance that someone might have done this before

Thanks

Matt

I found when I did mine (different alternator though) that it soaked up a little current through the S wire (guess it has to to actually sense).

I was worried enough to rewire it to ignition- just wanted to make sure that I could leave it for weeks without going flat)

If you do it this way you need to ensure that your switched sense wire doesn't have any voltage drop (or it will overcharge the battery)

I understand you must always connect the lamp wire (from memory it GROUNDS the lamp but I could be well wrong)

Looks like a diagram from ausrotary.. i put a s6 alt in my rx2 using the diagram from there.

I can't remember exactly but i think the L is an earth, mine is connected up to a relay to run the dash light as per their diagram.

To answer your question though, sorry i don't know the answer. i've never run mine without the L hooked up, but i'm guessing the alt will still function. Someone else will know more..

Use light as it excites the alternator into charging. Run your sense through an ignition relay if your unsure how it was orgionally wired. Just make aure theres no volt drop across the sense wire or it will over charge.

Light will need to be wired to 12v ignition - lamp - l on alternator.