Kempy's 845 tube amp

kempy

This will be a bit of a long burn project.

This amp was an 845 SET ( Single Ended Triode) amp in working order, it belonged to a mate died a couple of years ago and was passed on to another mate.

He decided that he wanted a well known local Tube amp builder to give it a bit of a tickle up and make it sound nicer, unfortunately he (the tube amp builder, who was another mate) died as well and my mate got it back in it's current state, mate.

So as part of another purchase it was bundled in as part of the deal and here it sits and now as I review this I'm starting to think the amp is cursed.

it's a fairly simple design but the tube amp builder (whom I think was a bit of a genius) added a bunch of new valve sockets and components and unfortunately all the plans went with him to the grave.

I have a few ideas of my own though, firstly I want to increase the plate voltage from 700v to 1KV for a slightly higher output as I have read that 845's like to be driven at 1-1.2KV as well as sounding better.

New Case, design to be decided.

Review and possibly implement new driver stage.

The 845 is a transmitter tube which looks fairly impressive when working, there are replacement chines tubes being manufactured now but I'd love to get my hands on some old stock RCA, General electric or other old varieties.

RCA 845 Tubes I'm hunting for...

eefaiyge.5xp.jpg

The amp as it stands now

jw5kmylp.cyr.jpg

Underneath

4dddw3lm.5k0.jpg

• Like 3