Power Steering Lines

spiderwebfx

This is for my S12.  I've put a S14 steering rack into it, and am trying to find alternatives to the alloy line that runs under the engine along the crossmember for the power steering fluid.  Can I just complete swap this out for a reinforced rubber hose with some hose clamps at each end.  I'm pretty sure it is the low pressure hose.

I don't know enough about power steering and how it works to make this decision, so thought I'd ask you guys here.

Most power steering systems are more than your average hose clamp can handle. I make hydraulic hoses at my work and we often have to make replacement power steering lines for the local garage.

If you take your old hardline to a Hydraulink or similar shop they would be able to make it up in flexy line for you. Normally power steering hoses have wierd fittings so we have to "life saver" them. (Basically cut your old ends off and weld them to a hose tail so they can be crimped to hydraulic hose)

In the end it does all come down to pressure if you find out what your running you could save money in the hose used.

With the correct hose tail if your only running 250psi to 350psi then you would be fine id say. Most standard power steering lines are only fibre reinforced but with crimped ends.

It would be really good to know what pressures your dealing with. Hopefully someone with knowledge on these things will read this thread.

Yeah, I would definitely be interested to know.  I'll do some googling and see if I can find anything.  Thanks for your input!

Edit/// Holy shit... Maximum pressure on the power steering pump is 1251-1337 PSI according to the FSM... So that hose definitely won't do it.

Edit//// I'm pretty sure only one line is high pressure isn't it?  The line that is already in the car has proper crimped fittings, and the one I'm looking at replacing hose standard hose tails at each end...

The small hose out of the power steering pump is the high pressure line, thus will go direct to the rack

The others are all low pressure return or suction, they can be hose clamed i prefer to use pushlock hose on the ones i do

Cool, thanks for that.  That means the hose I am wanting to do it the low pressure hose.  Is transmission hose suitable for this?

• Like 1