Ed's super haggard track hack

0R10N

I'll agree with all of the "back in my day" thinking.  I recall only 5 years ago there were heaps of these and BFMR familiars around.  Now you see bugger all - quite a few chopped up and a fair few more wrapped around powerpoles. 

So the problem has been there with 2 different oil filters of different brands?

Is the gauge mechanical or electric?

those omori gauges are mechanical aren't they?

sounds like KK might be onto something there... dodgey gauge?

Well its not plumbed into where the sender sits is it? that would be the first step wouldn't it? If its mechanical they are usually pretty good. Anyway modernish cars can run some silly high pressures when cold, I thought sheepers UZ was insane running over 100psi when cold, he assured me it was legit. 

Yup, the Omoris are all mechanical. It's plumbed into a sandwich plate that sits between the oil filter and housing along with the oil temperature gauge. Nowhere near the factory sender at all.

Phoned my mechanic earlier (he's played with many B6Ts over the years) and he said 8 bar when cold is actually okay if the engine has good tolerances, so I guess that allays my fears somewhat. Not that I wasn't prepared to believe you guys, but I've never seen any engine get that much oil pressure until now...

It's also possible that the Titan 15w40 was simply not as good when cold as the Mobil oil I put in after trackday, which kinda sucks as it's the only oil I can buy in bulk for a reasonable price. #asianjewspec :)

I'll agree with all of the "back in my day" thinking.  I recall only 5 years ago there were heaps of these and BFMR familiars around.  Now you see bugger all - quite a few chopped up and a fair few more wrapped around powerpoles. 

Yeah I bought a BFMR a couple of years back to restore to factory condition... seems I'd saved it from certain death at the hands of the previous 18 year old owner, if all the issues I found when rebuilding it were anything to go by.

I've almost finished the restoration, but as you say there are so few left that I've been finding it rather difficult to obtain even the most trivial parts. Like the factory front seats of all things.

This is it:

DYcbA.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I did some more doooooooort around Taupo last week. Car survived with only minor bruises (dead tacho feed, rather steamed brakes).

The oil pressure issue has manifested itself in a slightly different way this time, with the definite mixing of fuel in with the oil, as evidenced by what looks and smells almost like two-stroke mix in the bottom of the makeshift catch can I plumbed in the night before raceday. This is again resulting in the oil going super thin between runs, but not so thin as to cause the warning light to come on at idle anymore.

I have noticed that the car bogs a bit in 3rd through the midrange (2500-4500rpm) compared to all other gears, so the aim is to chuck it back on the dyno at some stage and do a 3rd gear run to see what the mixtures are doing. All previous tuning was done in 4th.

Perhaps not coincidentally, it spends most of its time in 3rd gear around Taupo.

I still want to fit larger 550cc injectors as the 390s are hitting 91% duty cycle, and to put a larger exhaust on which should hopefully allow me to ease the boost level down a bit and get a bit more longevity out of the poor VF10, so I'll try and get this all done at the same time (and hope that it doesn't start eating too much out of the Skyline budget!)

Also need to find a new place to get wheel alignments from, as Irving has sadly called it a day. After the last two trackdays, the car definitely feels like it needs less toe-in due to its decidedly twitchy response when cornering.

Anyway, a couple of pictures to end this transmission :)

D7K_6222.jpg

D7K_6205.jpg

D7K_6201.jpg

D7K_6203.jpg

Definitely not the flattest when cornering either. Perhaps I'll refit the coilovers ;)