Triumph Leaking trans oil from auto bellhousing

78Trump

Hi guys,

I've just replace the flexi plate in my Triumph 2500s 78' , trans was not leaking before I did this, now it's leaking quite bad and is coming out from the square hole were the plastic breather sits, is there a seal that I didn't know about?, like is said it was not leaking before, I can't seem to find a seal in the manual, nor did I see one when I pulled the torque converter off, , the only seal I saw was where the main shaft came out of the box and it was mint, can or has anyone had this problem?... Help....

I think it was over a bit, but didn't relies this till the next day as it was dark by the time I was finished with everything,

Like as of today, it's saying full on the dipstick when cold, but on Friday when I last drive it it felt like it was slipping and a delay going into or between the changes of gears, but only when cold, seemed a lot better when hot, ??

I'd start by draining around a litre of fluid out then firing it it up check to see if it still leaks is real easy to overfill these when fluid is clean. if it does its gearbox out time there is a shortcut there if you unbolt the gearbox and leave TQ converter and bellhousing bolted up it saves hours of mucking round you'll have it on bench in an hour. Good luck to you hope its only overfull.

i ran one in past similar problem was leaky though it died before i ever worried about sorting the leak. there will be a seal in front of trans that may have been disturbed when you had box out it may slowly relax and seal up (fingers crossed) unless of course it has torn.....

Ok, went to the trans box guys here and found out we put it together in the wrong sequence, we put the tork converter on first against the flex plate then slid the box in, we should have left the tork converter on the box and separated it as one unit, so when you slide the box into the converter as I have done, you risk damaging the seal that's in front of the oil pump and maybe the pump as well, so out comes the box, new seal and check the pump is not damaged and reinstall in the right sequence. Bugger...