Ned's Slam-Trailer

Ned

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CaMpylobacter

you going to add a couple of little skidplate things to the front end there?

Also think that a gusset or two on the drawbar may not go amiss... I'm sure it'll be fine though.

Axles should be sweet with what weights you're looking to cart on it, I guess you'll be keeping an eye on that etc.

what kind of lights are you going to be running? Have you thought of making a couple of slide in mounts for lights_on_poles to make it comply with the lighting rule etc?

Also, I may have missed it but, what kinda guards are you gonna run?

Wez put some meaty weld balls on all the corners and on the draw bar so i'll see how long they last. If they dontlast long, i'll put some (titanium/magnesium/stainless) plates on the corners to stop the welds from fucking out or something... It doesnt scrape during normal road use so no sparks while driving unfortunately.

Again looking at cutting some plate to go on the corner of the draw bar to strengthen it. Would prefer notto run gussets as it'll look better without it but not opposed to it either.

Light wise, i'm hoping to get away with some reflective tape on the back and then mount the lights to the guards. The lights are just the generic Narva square ones as they were cheap, came with wiring and plugs etc.

Guards will either be some bendy ply that Wez suggested and stain it the same colour as the deck, or some galv round generic trailer ones... will see what the bendy ply looks like tonight.

Guest CaMpylobacter

ah yep!

From Memory, KK had issues with lighting due to the height, but guards spec sounds like the go.

Being unsprungs, though, I would recommend LED lights. By all menas give your incandescent bulb type ones a go but they may spit bulbs out like nobodys business, especially if they're festoon bulb type.

Me and the bro's tandem chews out bulbs and that's sprung and doesn't bounce around at all!

If you want some uber low price LED combo lamps let me know and I can help you out :)

• Like 1

Guest Born Loser

Ive used generic LED lights from Trojan trailers. And my guards were from there also. I too remember KK having trouble with light height. Mine would be lucky to 100mm at the highest but AA could not find any ruling against it when i went for my Pink Sticker wof

Similar issues as others have found, and local independant wof place wont put on the first wof unless it's 100mm off the ground, which isnt gonna happen. He's happy to do 3rd wof onwards, but wants the first couple from someone else.

Went to VTNZ (of all places) and talked to a helpful young chap, and he couldnt find any info on it either. He called head offices and shit and got no more info but will call their auditor as last check and if he hasnt got any solid reasons why not to give it a wof, i'll be good to go and will get a VTNZ wof :D which should keep the police happy and my normal wof man as well.

Wheels are an option if the welds dont last more than a weekend.

LED lighting would be good, especially if i can get recessed shit into the back bar, but will see how the current ones go for now.

• Like 1

Guest Born Loser

The police wont care if it has a VTNZ wof or not. They will swear black and blue that you modified it after the wof. Thats what i get down here.