Panhard rod on leaf sprung rear and swaybar

HighLUX

Would adding a panhard rod be of any use in the rear of a hilux?

Im just thinking of ways to improve on the current leaf sprung setup when I go low add engine etc, a panhard rod would help reduce side loading of the leafs/hangars when cornering hard, sliding, skids right? or am I worrying about nothing?

What about a swaybar for less body roll? I have noticed falcon utes have them so there must be some merit.

It wouldnt be hard to adapt something from a surf or similar to work.

Thoughts/Ideas?

The problem is it would increase the load on the springs if the axle was at any height other than the neutral height.

A panhard rod causes the axle to move to one side as it gets lower and to the other side as it gets higher.

A watts linkage would work fine in the situation though. However you are not going to achieve anything by adding one in no matter if it was panhard or watts. So I would flag it.

You could run a sway bay for body roll but I doubt it would again have much effect on a leaf sprung live axle.

All suspension components deflect, but lateral control on a leaf rear end is a bit like nitrogen in your tyres. It will get you the last 1% of performance, but is really a waste of time if everything else isn't in perfect condition.

Leaf springs already resist the tendency of a live axle to move sideways. Installing fresh, good quality, rubber bushes would be far more beneficial to road-holding.

Just like adding some huge four pot calipers; guys love adding stuff to their suspension to make it better, but much of the time I expect they make it worse. You need to get your geometry right before adding anything to suspension or else things will bind up and make the truck less predictable on mid-corner bumps. You can certainly add a Watts, but you need to plan it very well and be certain of your intended ride height and suspension travel before you start.

MTCW

• Like 1