help toyota 4k wont start

EvoBilly

im sure ive seen this topic here but when i need it i can't find it so heres my problem

i just did a 1300ks road trip to the north island for nats car made it there and back with a few minor issues including starting to over heat on the way home

so have put new thermostat in and new waterpump still getting hot thinking maybe headgaskit :?:

then it got worse i went to start it to make sure the water was toped up fully and give it a run to see if its losing water as oil is still clear (not creamy) and couldn't see any major bubbles well running in water turned key fired up (from cold hadn't been running today) and as i don't have my choke hooked up yet did its usually coof coof splutter come right then stalled turned the key again and it just winds over with no sign of life at all

so have checked for spark has spark at coil and at plugs

then checked for fuel and its pumping fuel in at carb

engine turns over smooth and everything seems to be moving normal

hope to borrow compression tester see what i get back

does anyone have any other ideas on what could have happend

hmmm... odd

yeah do compression test. Have you also pulled th plugs out of your car and checked the condition on those?

And maybe just double check points gap also.

Someitmes spark plugs like to show that they are firing ok, until the put under compression and then they no, Nup, fuck you, i'm not firing!

However for all 4 of them to do it maybe not.

Sure its not flooded?

I pulled the plugs out and going buy the online photo guide there all normal condition then i sat them on the tappet over pluged in and wound it ova could smell fuel coming out holes and could see spark on all 4 never had flooding issues before

Spark+plugs+sign.jpg

Have you checked the timing?

I had issues at one stage, plugs were sparking, engine was turning over, there was fuel at the plugs and it would not start. Replaced the points and condenser and it started first pop. Also check that the distributor has not come loose and moved.

engine still not going pulled head off to replace head gaskit the one that was on there looked like it was fine nothing i could see blown anywere

checked cam timeing thats still right

checked dizzy timeing thats still right

has new points, condenser, dizzy cap, ht lead, all checked and set right

havn't finished putting bak it together yet before pulling head off checked rockers there were a little out but not enough to stop it running

basicly being a k mota if its got fuel some sort of spark at the right time and compression it should attempt to run but this isn't at all

thinking maybe spark is to weak running out of ideas really who knows maybe once its back together it will just go :)

common sence would say i would have but got sick of waiting for tester and hav limited time to work on it at the mo thought doing the head gaskit might fix issues or that once head off might see the problem so pulled it off :rolleyes:

You need spark, fuel, compression and all of it coming together at the right time...

So you have spark when cranking?

Unless the cam has been out that won't be a problem.

Your dadinlaw should have set the spark timing correctly.

Also tip a splash of fuel down the carb when you crank it and see if it helps (this will elimnate fuel as a factor if it makes no difference)

Checking compression is next.. Do a compression test and set the tappets..

Next thing is the ballast bypass - is it wired correctly and do you have the correct coil fitted?

running a GT40 non ballast coil

i sprayed start ya barstard down the carb and still nothing no attempt to fire

and i tested the spark buy pulling the plugs out pluging them in and sitting them on tappet cover and wound it ova

the condenser and points were put on before going to nats could have burnt condenser out i guess

OK you may need to check if you are getting 6V or 12V to the points

The points may be burning out if you are runing 12V to them all the time..

Also are you using a GT40T? (transistor) or the normal GT40 coil..

The GT40T is very particular about what ignition systems they run with and I've found they run like shit with some old types of ignition and have had to change back to a GT40