Southerners BMW E30 325i

Southerner

Southerner ... see if you can find a whole 525e motor..there was one cheap on trademe in the south island awhile back, then you can use the entire bottom end block rods pistons..then just slap a 885(325i) head or 323 head and you have a 2.7.. 325i heads flow best... 323i have a better cam I THINK

the 525e/325i head combo is tried and tested. it's also what BMW S.A. used in their 325is (factory M3 5 stud hubs and 2.7L engine)

Yea im keeping an eye out for one, just a matter of time before one comes up locally it think. I have a 885 head in the car at the moment, it used to be a 320i and someone did a 25i implant into it and it hasnt been finished. So im slowly tracing through the wiring to get it going. So when i don ill build up a stroker for it.

My humble opinion....2.7 stroker is waste of time.

Surely it wouldnt go any worse than a 2.5? Im keeping an eye out for a newer engine aswell so if one comes up ill grab that instead, trying to do this as cheap as possible, and the stroker seems cheap for abit of extra power

Surely it wouldnt go any worse than a 2.5? Im keeping an eye out for a newer engine aswell so if one comes up ill grab that instead, trying to do this as cheap as possible, and the stroker seems cheap for abit of extra power

You're right! It's no worse than a 2.5. But that little bit of power really is a _little_ bit of power.

You're right! It's no worse than a 2.5. But that little bit of power really is a _little_ bit of power.

Is there anything you recommend to make it go better than, a little bit of power? Perhaps a turbo manifold from the states? Apparently these motors seem to make decent power with a turbo strapped on the side, and manifolds arnt to pricey either

Is there anything you recommend to make it go better than, a little bit of power? Perhaps a turbo manifold from the states? Apparently these motors seem to make decent power with a turbo strapped on the side, and manifolds arnt to pricey either

There's not really 'easy' power to be had from an m20. You can remove the trapdoor air sensor, fit a cam/headers ect but by the time you've been through all that and had it tuned you might as well have fitted a m50/52.

They can be taken out to 3.1ltrs (all the later m5x cranks can be made to work),head worked and all the usual's but it's all quite spendy.

Turbo's a good option but again spendy for something reliable.

Easiest, best bang for buck is probably a m50 2.5 ltr.

• 7 months later...

So since i've lowered this, a loud clonking noise started to appear from the rear end, only when i had someone sitting in the back though. So i crawled around and felt the CV had alot of slop in it, like a lot.

img20130308220431u.jpg

Was rusted out, about a half a cup of water fell out when i pulled the boot back.

A new shaft from my BMW parts dealer MillAnd, is about $1000 and the CV cant really be replaced. So my old man went and asked his mate who races this

2uespkk.jpg

And got me a second hand one.

Boring update, but might be handy for those to keep in mind when thrashing a e30

• 1 month later...

Entered a Grasskana with the Otago Sports Car Club as i wanted to give it a go and finished 12th out of 20 which i thought was good for a lowered rwd car in a paddock against a number of proper race car

omd40005copy.jpg

Also i acquired this

p4262525copy.jpg

Cost me not alot with a good LSD which ill be converting to 4.11 ratio. Its a manual 323i, dead rego but its a better base than my previous cars

• 2 weeks later...