Driveshaft angle q

davidian

Ive got a question about the angle the driveline/driveshaft sits on.

I know the driveshafts usually have a couple of degree angle coming into the diff but i have some clearance issues up front meaning the engine/box hits the steering if it nice and flat and straight back to the diff.

Can i mount the engine and box a bit higher (shaft will be on more of an angle, not hug but not horizontal either). Otherwise move the front of the engine slightly to the left (driveline wouldnt be runing exactly north-south, just barely off) which seems really odd.

I guess Im asking how far off can I have the driveshaft angle without shaking the car apart 8)

any ideas?

cheers

at the moment, gbox end is at 4 degree angle to diff. After advice form ADL going to try tilting the front of the engine up by maybe 20-25mm and gearbox end down around 10mm. will make it look a bit silly i think but the drive angles should be a bit more tolerable.

well the centre of the diff is at 330 aprox (on stands) and the geabox output 420. they are about 1080 apart which i worked out on paper to scale to be 4 degrees, does that answer it?

here are pix of the engine jacked up front to clear the steering. looks like an odd angle, is there an issue with this?

imag0123op.jpg

imag0124ou.jpg