2 newschool 4 oldschool: Link G4 ignition trigger for FJ20ET

0R10N

So I want to get the ball rolling on the G4 Storm upgrade on terror squid, due to a strange misfire that's started rearing its ugly head.

Being a nub when it comes to this sort of thing, what trigger do I need to buy for the FJ20ET in order to convert to either wasted spark or coil per plug? It currently runs a distributor off the crank as standard.

on my TX3 (which runs an early G1 V5) I bought a NA6CE MX-5 cam angle sensor and mashed it in place of the standard distributor, which provided the correct signal output for a Mitsubishi igniter pack and pair of coils (think it was 4G63).

I'm hoping that something similar can be adapted to the FJ20? :cyclopsani:

tumblr_lk385eNC2G1qi58aho1_500.jpg

Pop open the cap and take a wee picture of the insides. Is it a standard Dizzy or does it have an optical cas in it like the later model nissan dizzys? If so you can probably get away with running the link off the standard nissn CAS/dizzy setup although some people swap out the nissan disc 360deg opto disc for a 24 trigger wheel for a more reliable signal (you can buy the trigger wheels from Speedtech though these are for sr/vg/ca/rb etc not sure if that covers FJs)

Sorry dont know a great deal about FJs so there may be some easy way of doing it. There may even be a way of using the cas bits out of a sr20 dizzy and mixing matching. Though surely it must be simpler than that. Have you tried FJ20.com to see what they do?

Anyway im rambling now i'll stop

cheers for that! The pickup in the standard dizzy is definitely an optical CAS because I had all sorts of fun ordering a brand new one about two years ago when the original one died.

I browse FJ20.com forums from time to time but searching for old posts on there is such a pain in the arse, really wish they would upgrade their software to phpBB or even vBulletin, would make it so much tidier :o

off topic: this is why i'm fed up with the standard ignition system. New CAS, new dizzy cap, new rotor, and the damn thing still misbehaves... lol

Does the CAS wheel have the 360 litttle slots around the outside and 4 bigger slots on the inside? If so you can probably change out the nissan one for one of those speedtech ones. It *may* even help with the misfire.

Have you replaced the leads recently? Also what about coil condition. Its running the correct Spark plugs. Mis fires lick balls they can be such a pain to diagnose!

Id use the dizzy for the trigger as suggested but get GM/AC Delco/what have you LS2/3/* coils off ebay - they come with built in ignitors so you can run them in in wasted spark or individually just depending on ecu outputs and how you wire things up. If you just use the dizzy trigger you will have to go wasted spark though.

you could probably even go halves with someone on a set of 8 for money savings if you cant find a set of 4 on ebay.

is the G4 storm manual on the link website? it should say what type of triggers it can use in there also.

link.jpg

They have pretty much everything, they dont have a FJ20 specific one but the nissan 360 opto is what I descrbed in the above post about the 360 outer slots and 4 inner slots.

If in doubt like said ring link. It just so happens the link development car is a FJ20et Chevette

Dave wanna go halves on some LS1 coils? my parents are going to the states in a month or so, can probably get them to bring some back.

I threw away the old CAS module (stupidly) but this is what mine looks like. Could have found a use for the spare disc.... I assume the big inner slot is for TDC or #1 or something?

Image111.jpg

photo stolen from S12Silvia.com

yup TDC #1, so that will be fine to trigger with the G4, simply select nissan 360 opto job done.

If it was me id change to the 12 trigger speed tech disc too, he reckons the signal is pretty borderline in factory trim. Not essential just gives you a bit more reliability/less likelihood of misfires