Vauxhall Viscount Holden V6 engine transplant

gazguy

how hard would it be to transplant a Holden V6 motor into my Viscount and what sort of problems will I have when I come to Cert it.

Im from the UK originally and over there you can basically put any engine you want in a car then take it for a wof without any probs

should be relatively easy really,

I'd purchase a donor vn or vp commodore and use a series 2 non ecotec engine (easiest to wire) they also run a non electronic t700 auto,

I'd use as much of the driveline as possible if i was you ie diff brakes and master etc,

but you may need to run HQ stub axles if it runs a wishbone front end.

I picked up my last vn for 5/8's of fuckall with big km's but it runs sweet and i'd happily leave the engine be for another 100 thousand k's

Buick V6 is a crap motor

Vauxhall six is a good motor

I fail to see the benefit of such a conversion

normally i'd agree with you the series one which is the only true buick other than earlier non commodore fitted engines are a bit harsh and are a pain to find manual parts for,

but the series two is a little smoother and can be easily converted due to its common crankshaft.

These guys would probably love to see a modern opel six go in there but tbh bang for buck the old v6 is hard to beat.

they're simple as an ignorant fool and are very compact lending towards an easy conversion.

I have a contact with a spare Viscount motor and trans sitting around, will check it out for you if ya like. was going for scrap last I heard, I think an opel six would be a good swap, as there is so much room length ways in the engine bay. It's the steering gear i'd worry about clearing with a V6 and also it would be ridiculously light in the front end after pulling the Vauxhall lump out, with an alloy V6.

Chuck a AJ6 Jaguar 4 litre with supercharger in please and be my hero.

I have a contact with a spare Viscount motor and trans sitting around, will check it out for you if ya like. was going for scrap last I heard, I think an opel six would be a good swap, as there is so much room length ways in the engine bay. It's the steering gear i'd worry about clearing with a V6 and also it would be ridiculously light in the front end after pulling the Vauxhall lump out, with an alloy V6.

Chuck a AJ6 Jaguar 4 litre with supercharger in please and be my hero.

jesus H christ a buick/holden v6 is all cast chap, steel block steel heads,

alloy heads came on the later ecotecs,

honestly so many people doubt them and right them off but thats brilliant as it makes them cheap.

they are also very compact as a 60degree V formation,

I'd just use a vn powersteering rack in that sort of conversion and get it all nice and easy to drive from the outset.

I know of a big block chev in a viscount in whangarei so a little v6 will piss in the gap

There are not many of these left - Here in NZ there is probaby more left then in the UK - as Banger racers have destroyed most of them - it will be a pity to see it customised - Buick V6 as I stand it was a pretty good motor but I never head of PC Viscount been re-powered by one. Around 6 Humber Super Snipes were Chrysler V8 Powered as Prototypes 1 or 2 is in Australia and common re-power was a 245/6 Valiant engine into a Humber

Cheers Julian

the 318 V8 Installation was new to me - according Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Cresta

but no details - was not aware of that

Yep De Luxe was here as so was the Viscount (In the UK found evidence that a Estate version of the Viscount was made - one turned up for sale in 1982 issue of practical Classic) it may off course been a good conversion?

as for Wagon models avail here locally - Never seen one of any of the nz magazines i have documented during the 1960s.

There of cause a Vauxhall PC Cresta that is a drag car Reg 2TURBO (NZ) raced by Graeme Bates - BIG block Chev powered I Believe and I think a Chev 350 conversion is quite a common conversion in the UK - a few have turned up for sale over there.

Not first time a rivial manufacturer - Chrysler took over Rootes - for while to much embarrasment Sunbeam Tiger continued for short time with the Ford Engine - I understand they tried to re-power it with Chrysler power but it was unsuccessful

Austin made a number of 3L (1967-1971) cars as prototypes with 3.5 Rover Power - all were later scrapped , told the managers liked this conversion - ran pretty smoothy

Most amazing story concerned Daimler and Vauxhall getting together to produce a car based on the PA! - Daimler powered

Of cause there Roll Royce and Farnia development based on originally a Wolseley 110 but project died but not completely- spin off of this was a Commercial RR engine 4.0 going into Vanden Plas 4.0R 1964-1968 where NZ got around 100-200 NZ new!

And Bentley and Austin got together - Austin Sheerline - There was a proposal to make a cheaper Bentley called the Sterling of 1947 as one turned up for sale in Switzerland in 1978

• 1 year later...
Guest mr67viscount

hi..im new to this site...mite be a bit late to ask but how did you get on with your tranz plant..i have vauxhall viscount 67 thinking of doing something similar to you