2.0L Pinto with 1600head?

slickyddyer

Got head back from shop finally now rebuilding. Can't get the viscous fan off the water pump. Removed the four bolts and according to the manual it should just pull off but it won't. Tried heaps. Hammering, chiseling, flat head screw driver. Just won't budge. Don't know if a puller would be any good. It might damage it... any ideas?

The viscous fans are screwed onto the water pump, the bolts you removed dont need to be. At the back of the fan you should see a big nut? Hold onto that then stop the waterpump pulley from turning and then unwind the whole viscous assy. Should be Left hand thread I think, unwinds the same direction it spins.

The haynes manual just said to remove the four screws then pull it off!

The new water pump I have does not have a thread on the end so I can't see how the original one is screwed on. Is it a reverse thread then? Is that why it won't screw off? I've tried unscrewing it but maybe I'm going the wrong way. Will try other way tomorrow in my vice.

Also wondering guys...

The manual says to set the timing 8 degrees BTDC..

So the lines on the crank pulley are in 2 degree intervals and I want it to be on the final mark furtherest from the heaviest TDC mark?

There are heavy marks and small marks in between. Are these small marks 1 degree marks?

And finally Do you want the dizzy set to Number 1 cylinder with the contacts just opening? Because thats what the haynes manual says..

The haynes manual just said to remove the four screws then pull it off!

The new water pump I have does not have a thread on the end so I can't see how the original one is screwed on. Is it a reverse thread then? Is that why it won't screw off? I've tried unscrewing it but maybe I'm going the wrong way. Will try other way tomorrow in my vice.

Also wondering guys...

The manual says to set the timing 8 degrees BTDC..

So the lines on the crank pulley are in 2 degree intervals and I want it to be on the final mark furtherest from the heaviest TDC mark?

There are heavy marks and small marks in between. Are these small marks 1 degree marks?

And finally Do you want the dizzy set to Number 1 cylinder with the contacts just opening? Because thats what the haynes manual says..

Then your new water pump is wrong for your setup. I think I have one here if you want a QH brand one that is threaded.

The ones for viscous fans are threaded, the ones for normal fans are not threaded. I think all the Sierra ones were for viscous fans FYI. I think it may be reverse thread yes.

The timing will not be correct for the block/head combo you have, it will need to be custom/do some playing.

Gaz

Got the fan off the water pump! reverse thread! What a trick for new players.

Now I may have made a fuck up. I set the Crank pulley to 8 degrees BTDC and set the head to that wee dot and put the timing belt on....

Turned it over a few times and the marks wouldn't line up after being tensioned....

I then realized I should have set the crank pulley to TDC and that the 8 degrees BTDC is only for ignition timing purposes. Right?

After correcting this the marks lined up sweet and I got the belt fitted.

But now I'm worried I may have contacted the valves with the pistons... WOOPS

Didn't feel any contact happening but who knows now. Hope it still goes!

Hope your right, surely 8 degrees out wouldn't make any contact happen... Only motors Iv'e ever rebuilt is my mk 2s 1600gt motor and a vdub motor. Limited experience. I'm just a lowly drain layer!

Going to buy the correct water pump tomorrow..$83 dollars...Expensive? I think so.

Can't wait to get the headers on and the twin 45 dellortos tomorrow.

You will know if you made piston/valve contact when you were turning it over.. I would redo the timing before you start it up though, if you dont have contact just by turning it over you may well still do at 4000rpm.

To be honest you want to set your cam timing precisely with a dial gauge.

Fairly easy to do once you know what your doing, just rebuilt my monster pinto head..

To be honest you want to set your cam timing precisely with a dial gauge.

This is what I did with mine, good fun playing with this and the adjustable cam gear.

Slick, set yours up at 6deg and then see how it goes. If it pinks then knock it back but watch out for overheating. This is the issue you will have with the compression ratio.. pinking vs overheating.. make sure your running 98 gas.

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...