FXGT throttle wierdness

anglia4

Ok so i've had this FXGT for about 2 weeks now so still ironing it out.

The transition between throttle being on and throttle being off seems to be really sharp.

(thats the best way i can think of to describe it)

If you are trying to drive at parking lot speed once the load comes off the engine like once you get to a steady speed, it seems to go into overrun really sharply until it drops speed to a point and then picks up again. PITA as you end up looking like a rookie doing bunny hop type things - its not quiet either...

It runs nice and smooth in normal driving, no noticable missfires or cutting out.

Its a hard one to describe sorry but any ideas what it might be?

corolla is 1989 4age with TVIS

need a multimeter to set them correctly. to start with, i'd unplug it. see if it drives any better. and see if the tps screws or throttle stop has been messed with. they have nice yellow or white paint on them from factory, so you can see if they been fiddled with

Will it work ok with it unplugged?

There is some yellow paint on the screw but its not really a consistent blob over the washer and onto the housing, hard to tell properly if its been messed with or not.

I do have a good fluke multimeter though

yeh will still run fine unpluged, just to test. from educated guess, unpluging tps, it will never think its idling (amongst other things) so should tell you if its the issue.

but if you got the multimeter there, google the readings that tps is spose to spit out.

fake edit:

try these, first thing that pop up on google so may want to confirm

specs for 16v 4age redtop tvis bigport TPS

set tps deflection at 0.47gap

0.00mm - VTA & E2 = 200 - 800ohm

0.35mm - IDL & E2 = continuity (2.3kohm or less)

0.59mm - IDL & E2 = no continuity (infinity)

fully open- VTA - E2 = 3.3 - 10kohm

VCC & E2 = 3 - 7kohm

pins from top to bottom =

E2

IDL

VTA

VCC

• 2 months later...

I've finally got around to checking this out.

Took it for a drive with the TPS unplugged and it was way more driveable.

Got the following readings:

0.00mm VTA/E2 760ohms

0.35mm IDL/E2 0.9 ohms

0.59mm IDL/E2 1.0 ohms

open VTA/E2 3.6 kohms

anywhere VCC/E2 4.3kohms

They are all good except the 0.59mm value, that should have no continuity but I have 1ohm.

Have been using this webpage for reference:

http://www.ae92gts.com/ae92gts_tps.html

If it is meant to go to no continuity at 0.59, and the website says that as you open the throttle the resistance should increase, it should have no continuity from 0.59 to open right?

So if I put my tester on it and slowly open it right up, it should go to no continuity at some stage right? And if it doesn't does this mean that my TPS sensor is likely stuffed?

Hope that all kinda makes a little bit of sense to someone. I'll do a bit more testing tomorrow when I get some proper aligator leads. Turns out DSE totally sucks now and has sweet fuck all in the way of actual electronics. Will hit up Jaycar tomorrow

Thanks for all the help kpr, this simple fix has completely transformed the car when driving at low speeds.

It only cost me $5 to make alligator clips and $20 to get new feeler guages after I left my flatmates ones on the throttle body when I went to get the alligator clips :scratch:

EDIT: For anybody reading this in the future who have the same problem. I had to unbolt the throttle body from the manifold so that I could get a screw driver in behind to undo the screws on the TPS sensor without wrecking them, just a point to note.