Splitting and flipping welded 3 piece rims.

BlownCorona

I have a pair of Advan a3a' 13x6 +6 offset and another pair on their way,

they are 3 piece welded rims. and i'm thinking about flipping the centers in the 2 rears.

first of all, is flipping centers a good idea?

second of all, is it possible to remove the welded seams, and will this damage the bands? i only want to consider this, if i dont have to spend money on new bands, else ill just leave them as is.

has anyone done this, or able to help with it?

I was thinking of doing this but then they have that gay channel thing on the back half of the rim which would be an easy give away that they're flipped. It would be an interesting job but I decided it wasn't worth it and bought wider rims.

first of all, is flipping centers a good idea?

No. "Flipping centers" is never a good idea.

Why?

Because you end up with like -40 offset. This has a tendency to ruin wheel bearings, loosen wheel nuts/snap studs and make any tyre you put on look rather silly.

Plus with those wheels you would have to cut them and weld them just to flip the centers.

Unfortunately great wheels = $$$$.

Here is a thread on how to do it properly with custom bands.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24702

yeah found the -40 offset thing while reading, i was thinking it would be like -20 at most, have decided agaisnt flipping centers as i like how they sit.

yeah i could fit 7s pretty easy, but i could only find a single 7" a3a on yahoo auctions japan, let alone in christchurch,

and yep i ended up getting a second pair from yahoo japan via ewan at hayatonka, awesome guy to deal with. cost be about the same for the second pair as i paid for the ones from you, so very happy.

20110326122534.jpg

will be getting a heftyer dose of slam soon,

imo they suit the car perfectly, much much better than the 17s that were on it