Voltage regulator problems

Taistorm

My corolla started having starting problems a week ago which i initially thought was caused by the starter solenoid so got it and the starer motor tested and they were working sweet. All of a sudden a few days after, I went to start up the car and it didnt turn over but instead the wire that runs from the alternator to the voltage regulator burnt through.

So I had the alternator checked then reconditioned as it needed to be, replaced the melted wire, cleaned all the terminals and replaced the regulator.

The car now starts up first pop but the new regulator causes the battery voltage to charge up and increase a hell of alot more quickly and higher, compared to the old one and after a few minutes it starts to smoke up.

Old Regulator raises to 14.56v over a few mins - New Regulator raises past 15v in about 2/3s of the time.

I swapped the old regulator back in and it still started up after holding the key for a few seconds which is sweet but im worried as its quit dodgey and might cause the wire to burn through again.

Can anyone one tell me why the new regulator is getting too hot and starting to smoke?

Thanks, Tai

so you think they sold me a faulty voltage reg, or the incorrect one?

Will run the old one but I'm just a bit worried incase the same shit happens as im not keen on frying the wire again on the otherside of auckland (although I can just disconnect it then roll start but the battery wont charge)