Colza's 1963 Prince Skyline

Colza

Watch the bonnet too, it will smack you under the chin if you are not careful as they seem to be heavily sprung, and after 30 times of banging your head on the catch on the underside of the bonnet when its open, you will still keep doing it.

Didnt get me, but damn near got my mate when he opened it for the first time :D

It was the boot catch that kept claiming my head all weekend.

Project thread has some new pics in it from this weekend 8)

Cheers for the pics. Once you get the carpet out its pretty easy to see where the chassis is. Its just when you look from underneath all you can see is the belly pan that covers the whole frame.

Speaking of lounge suite seats, I see yours has the super cool rear side arm rests. Mine is just a plain bench seat front and rear, with a fold out center arm rest in the back.

Its always a laugh watching other people open the bonnet. Only had the boot lid lock attack me a couple of times in 20+years of owning it.

Believe it or not, the factory 1900cc engine drags the 1300kg body along quite nicely. You would think 1900cc + 1300kg = gutless, but not really the case. It will certainly keep up with modern day town traffic. The only downside is they are extremely noisy and revvy at 60mph, but not so much you cant hold a conversation.

I dont get the centre armrest at all, only the access reducing armrests on the wheel arch, although i do get step lamps on the side of the seat base which light up with the back doors open and cloth inserts on the door cards. The crimson coloured carpet is original, while up front I have the same vinyl mats as yours, which are now all hard and brittle. The standard '63 Skyline S21S-4 had the side armrests too, except the seats were trimmed in vinyl instead of cloth. we got both the Skyline Super and standard sedan and Skyway wagon here in 1963, and only the Deluxe sedans in 1962.

skylinebackseat.jpg

When I got mine back on the road in 1992, I took it to show the original owners, who were over the moon to see it again. The man said he had something that I could have and went fossicking in the garage and bought out the factory Prince radio and toolbox, which he had kept for all those years. He said he then knew the reason why he could never throw them away. The BLSID-3 Skylines had the radio as standard where the S21D-4 didnt. Not sure of the reason for this as the Deluxe and Super were the same spec. The parts book only lists it as optional for all the S21 Skylines and Skyway wagons. I was also very lucky in that the Prince glovebox manual and a couple brochures were still in the car.

skylineinside.jpg

And contary to popular belief, the dipswitch looking thing on the trans tunnel is actually for the foot operated windscreen washer pump. That gets a few people as well. To switch between high/low beam headligths, the column mounted light switch flicks back and forward like a modern car. The other thing ive been told to watch our for, is that the steering wheel is easily broken if used to drag yourself out of the car. I used to know an elderly man that had a Skyline Super, and he had broken about 3 steering wheels doing this.

Man, digging into it already. Doesn't look all that bad! Sure it's got holes, it's been sitting languishing for many, many years. So that's to be expected. Did your screen still have it's old WoF sticker with a readable plate number on it?

I really need to get stuck into mine too. I grabbed the parts manual out of it last weekend to get the frame pictures for you but it looks likely you'll not need them, as mentioned, everything is pretty easy to find.

I too was amused and disturbed to find my diff behind a little piece of cardboard. I recall have a good chuckle at that, at the time.

Man, digging into it already. Doesn't look all that bad! Sure it's got holes, it's been sitting languishing for many, many years. So that's to be expected. Did your screen still have it's old WoF sticker with a readable plate number on it?

No WOF stickers, just the two registration ones in the photo. No idea what the original plate was, I would love to find out!

Awesome find, It will be good to see another Prince Skyline on the road again. I am pretty sure Nzmax and Kyleter know more about 1st gen Skylines than anybody in the world. I just recently purchased an ALSI, the only car exported to the US.

It will cool to see your progress. My car looks like this. Blue seems to be a popular color.

PC210454.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Colza - please don't give those un-attached fenders to a sandblaster unless you find an absolute expert.

I did that and had to spend 90 hours trying to get the shape back into them (true story - that is more than two weeks of 8 hour days on two front guards - partly because I didn't listen and partly because the blaster I used was/is a moron. He even managed to bend wheel rims).

• 2 years later...