Hunted's Avenger

Beaver

Right, realised that euro isnt for me, need the smell of gas and oil inside a car to keep me happy etc, so got this lol

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super. was revined July last year and had $2000+ spent on it getting it back in tip top shape. Has new shocks, brakes, lights, boots, bushes etc and sticks to the road beautifully. Engine needs some tuning and has an exhaust leak but should be easy fixes (need to learn how to tune an SU/slap a stromberg on it lol). Also has a bit of over run so will look into that.is wofed/reged.

Anyway, pics. Is all original paint etc, recently been cut/polished. Has a few dings and dents but is pretty tidy overall. apart from some mitre 10 carpet, the interior is all original, just needs a new dash as its pretty cracked.

P1020668.jpg

P1020667.jpg

P1020666.jpg

P1020664.jpg

P1020663.jpg

Plans are to get it running better and sort out a few niggles (eg dash doesnt go at all haha) and just enjoy for a bit. Then take it from there.

just spent the last few hours tinkering. stripped carb apart and gave it a good clean. new points (rotor and cap will be here next week). could actullay tune the carb now, think I got it pretty good. idle much smoother and returns to the same rpm after giving it throttle which it didnt use to which made it very difficult to tune

nice clean SU carb

P1020670.jpg

P1020669.jpg

will try sort out exhaust leak tomoro, is just at a clamp join so shouldnt be a biggy. then hopefully mark105 has a speedo cable for me :D and ill be good to go. petrol gauge doesnt work, not sure what the go is there. dont think water temp does either. rest of dash does though. meh il fix it one day

spent a bit more time tidying it up today. its just the dash that lets it down, its well fucked. also has a cronic leak at the bottom corners of the front windscreen. bit of silicon should fix it. hopefully can get speedo cable in the next few days and take it away for xmas/new years cruising

P1020677.jpg

P1020676.jpg

P1020675.jpg

P1020672.jpg

just picked up a new set of these for next to nothing (thanks cash converters)

148290420.jpg

car is currently at exhaust shop getting the leaks fixed. the guy there said he used to work on the production line when they were being buil;t or something haha.

will see what the lights look like this arvo. there are holes in the bumper where there used to be over riders, so will try use those. not keen on drilling new ones

exhaust is now fixed, sounds so much better/quiter/non shit.

dummied up lights, these are the only way they will bolt on using existing holes. i rekon they stick out too far. if i flip them upright, then due to the angles of the mounts etc the point at the ground. a plastic/rubber wedge spacer would do the trick....... ideally id mount them on the top face of the bumpper and upwards, meaning they would be closer to the car. but unkeen on drilling holes in bumper

thoughts on what this looks like? viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25248

P1020682.jpg

P1020681.jpg

P1020680.jpg

P1020679.jpg

discussion viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25248

well i spent a few days getting this all sorted for the trip over to whitianga. installed new water temp gauge (couldnt get original to work), put in speedo cable (big thanks to mark105 and his dad). also thanks to his old man for poi9nting out the plugs it was running were 4 temp levels to hot. so put the right ones in.

speedo cable snapped about half an hour into the drive which is fucking gay. started getting mighty hot about halfway (right before the hills) so stopped off at thames and drained the radiator and put new coolant in, worked a charm, stayed between 80-85 degrees the rest of the trip. was pinking pretty bad under load so took it easy, and would run on once the engine was warm. retarted the timing unitll it stoppped pinking (dont having a timing light) but it still has run on.

might pop into one of the garages and borrow their timing light/get them to check my timing. would buy one but whitianga has limted automotive supplies haha.

anyway, here are some of avengas pics from the ham meet of our avengers

P1030138.jpg

P1030139.jpg

P1030141.jpg

P1030143.jpg

P1030144.jpg

P1030146.jpg

P1030147.jpg

P1030149.jpg

P1030152.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

right, finally got some sounds in the car. 3 hours back from coromandel was bad enough without music so put some in in preparation for migration to wellington this weekend. got some old speaker cases off trademe and stuck some decent speakers in them. also new headunit (god they are getting cheap these days. brand new sony with front AUX input, sub out etc, $90.stocked)

P1020690.jpg

P1020689.jpg

P1020688.jpg

also put a new fan belt on as the old one was fucked. new one has ribbed v belt thingy, makes a cool whine haha.

so am in the process off/am yet to start packing up to shift to wellington, and then once im settled and have found a garage, makita adjustables and some new wheels will be installed

just brought these. centres have been put into 6" ROH bands with a decent amount of dish. mmmm chrome. depending on the condition of them will maybe get them stripped and powder coated silver and black inserts. hopefully can just give the chrome a good polish and redo the black. slicks will be lol

155706825_full.jpg

155707022_full.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

right, havent done much lately, dont have anywhere to work on it etc until I find a flat. brought some cheap ass tyres (60 buks for a set) to replace the current ones as one has a slow leak and they are all about 64 years old. will be a while till i get the above rims wrapped in rubber and fitted. need to do some severe lowering before that happens as well.

some good news though, have tracked down a avenger race motor via gaz and am in the process off getting info about it etc. needs a few thigns done but sounds like afairly seriuos engine. might throw my first pay check at it

also, another job is to remove the hidous body trim stuff. pulled a tiny bit off today and looks like it will come up sweet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

right, no actually pics, but its about this height. 40mm in the front and 25mm in the back (back was lower to begin with). was 2 coils from the front, and about 1.5 from the back so was surprised it only went down this much

untitled-3.jpg

from this (and yes there is a difference....lol)

P1030138.jpg

still needs to come down a bunch, but needs shorter shocks in the back, and will shorten/remove bump stops in the front. Will also suss out tyres for my other rims and get them fitted before I drop it again

right, got a 175/60 fitted up to a rim and chucked it, am thinking its waaaaaaaaaaay to small. will have to remove suspension entirely to pull it off (seriously would need 2" out). so will just get a cheap set of 175/70s for now and then go from there. car needs/will be lowerd further, but i doubt I can take enough height out without goin crazy to pull off the small wheel/small tyre look

excuse shitty cellphone pic. this is with the diff jacked up ie what it would sit like on the ground. can see that a heap lowering would be required

Pic_0317_090.jpg

4 cans of degreaser later and my 1600 engine looks like this....

P1030006.jpg

P1030005.jpg

P1030004.jpg

will give it a repaint (in blue of course) and give the bits a good polish up. seems silly not to make the most of it being on a stand before I stick it in. just need a new intake/exhaust gasket and will mount all that up. new spark plugs, new oil filter, new oil, and should be good to go, fingers crossed.

oh and ordered tyres today for my other rims, will get them fitted on saturday, probably wont get a chnace during the week.

discussion viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25248&start=100

spot the difference =D

P1030012.jpg

P1030011.jpg

P1030010.jpg

P1030009.jpg

cheers to joker for all the goodies (were spares that came with his avenger haul he picked up from wellington)

Will strip and clean the carbs, replace the diaphrams, then should be good to go. lick of paint on the head and block, and engine should be ready to drop in....

cleaned up the carbs today, they are actually in really good nick

P1030014.jpg

does anyone have a spare bung from the bottom of the fuel bowl I could have? am missing both of them, but have one from a spare carb but need one more.

also painted the block and head today, just need to paint rocker cover (need to find a star socket to get the bolts off first haha). Then will get a new set of plugs, new leads, new oil filter, give it a oil change and then I think it will be ready to drop in (when I actually get around to it)

P1030023.jpg

need to rig up a cable accelerator to run the twin carbs, so will either stick the motor in and get it running on the current carb thats on the 1300 (that way I know it works) and then switch to the twins, or get the cable sorted at the same time i drop the motor in