XPLOIT - Trying to maintain Reliable Honda's. E-AT Microwave

XPLOIT

Hi all,

Have been suggested to start a thread on a couple or three Honda's that I have and enjoy modifiying.

Hopefully there is some people here with a soft spot for older Honda's :P

They are:

1985 Honda Civic Si - DOHC ZC engine.

1993 Honda Accord LXi - My daily driver.

Why? I've always had a love for Honda's. Maybe it's because no one else really does. I try to differ from the rest.

Both of these cars were bought completely stock - The only way I'd normally buy a car.

The Accord. (As purchased)

DSC02711.jpg

The Civic. (As purchased)

DSC00020.jpg

Plans?

Originally the Civic was bought to be my (Now ex) partners daily. Which it served its purpose well.

Then I wanted to modify it a little bit just to make it a little different.

Now, Im building it to be a reliable Street Legal Track Day car.

The Accord has always intended to be my daily driver with simple but effective JDM modifications.

More to come! Thanks for looking.

We had a few little problems with the Civic after the 190k it had done.

Firstly, it had a weird rev cut at 5000rpm. This was fixed by removing the 105kph speed buzzer from behind the gauge cluster.... Dunno why, but it fixed it.

Started overheating a bit too... So we replaced the thermostat, waterpump (And cambelt while we were at it). Still no good so had to remove the radiator and get that re-conned. Which was full of crap as it turned out so that fixed that problem.

Twas a PITA.

DSC00442.jpg

One of the aircon pipes was rotting away and eded up snapping, so I left the AC radiator out when reinstalling the radiator.

I also picked up some sweet Mugen MR5's for cheap with tyres. Forged 2 piece.

DSC00465.jpg

Just realised I posted this in the wrong forum, thanks mods for moving it.

The Civic then recieved some modest cosmetic changes, Painted rocker cover...

DSC00480.jpg

DSC00481.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

Other stuff (Have a small, but average collection of these now)

DSC00547.jpg

And some obvious inspiration!

800px-Mugen-MOTUL-CIVIC-Si-racecar..JPG

IchiCivic.jpg

I also managed to find some cheap springs on Trade Me, so I wound down the front torsion bars and churcked the lowering springs in the rear to make it look a little less rude.

_MG_0035.jpg

Bloody hard to find these cars tidy an original, so I thought I did quite well considering the price I got it for.

You might have already seen/heard about it, but my mate (on NZHONDAS I think), has an auto/dereg/kind of rusty one he is looking to flick off? Doesnt seem to be getting any bites and will probably sell it pretty cheap. In Wellington so might not be worth it for you, but feel free to PM me and I can find out more?

PS I am referring to a uber cool Jay-Dee-Em AT Civic, not slightly cool Accord :P

Hey guys, @kyteler - yea, Ive been offered over 4 times the amount I paid for mine to sell it but I just cant let it go!

@feathersword - Cheers mate. I think I know who you're talking about and I have spoken to them about it, it just not worth the price of shipping it! It's a bit of a shame really as I have more uses for other parts off it. (More on that further into the thread.)

BTW, both cars have actually come along way since the posts I have just put up ;) Just finding the time to get this thread up to speed!

The story behind the Accord?

I owned a 1993 Honda Accord LXi as my 2nd car. Loved it, reliable as hell etc. I since sold that after modifying it somewhat (Back in my teenage ricer days). Ever since I sold it, Ive wanted another...

So I kept an eye out on TM etc for the exact same model (Facelift LXi (EFi), NZ New, Manual) and eventually found this one in Auckland. Planned my trip and I flew up to Auckland and drove back to CHCH in the next day. (Was a very long trip!)

Only had one owner (Apart from Honda NZ when it was new) before me, regularely serviced by Honda NZ and has done about 230000 k's when I bought it.The K's didnt bother me one bit, my last one of these had done 280,000 k's and had a very hard life before a different owner crashed it.

I wanted to build an immaculate as possible and 'original' daily driver with some suspension and wheel mods. (ie: The interior and engine were to stay stock)

I quickly found a set of wheels I wanted - 16x7 Advan RG's.

2-2.jpg

Came with some slightly oversized Advan tyres, but shit they handled well considering how worn they were.

Suspension comes next!

Civic Brake upgrade.

I took the Civic to Ruapuna a while back. Was heaps of fun but things needed changing. (Which is what this thread is all about!!) The brakes were shit. I never expected them to perform well. I had no idea how old or crap the fluid was and it had some bendix pads.

New parts consist of..

Twin Pot Calipers - Fully striped back and rebuilt

Bigger 242mm Discs (Brand New Honda items)

RBF600 Fluid

Bigger Booster and MC

Here is some pics.

LGIM0016-1.jpg

LGIM0017-1.jpg

LGIM0018-1.jpg

I also picked up these... Brand New in the box.

LGIM0019.jpg

LGIM0020.jpg

Obviously not going to be fitted at this stage.

^ Yea, thats a 4th Gen EF (Mine is a 3rd Gen AT). You'd have to get an EF9 if you wanted one, B16A DOHC VTEC. I have this theory of buying only the top spec'd car that was made in that era. So dont just buy an 'Si', 'SiR' is what you'll want ;)

However, I am hunting for a set of those wheels. Mugen CF48's.

Heres some pics before the recon.

DSCF1546.jpg

DSCF1544.jpg

DSCF1547.jpg

I also luckily found a hella Rare Mugen Steering wheel...

DSCF1434.jpg

DSCF1438.jpg

Still trying to find a Boss kit for it!!

Also, I came across another rare Mugen item..... Spoiler ;)

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00380.jpg

I found a set of wheels to use for daily use. They are OEM Honda wheels, but again, not that common.

Magnesium yo!

LGIM0005.jpg

Now, I took this car to a local Dyno Day at Spec Performance. Just for shits and giggles to see what it power it was making/lacking....

It's done 210000k's

Leaks some oil,

Blows some smoke,

Engine is stock.

As you'd imagine, I wasnt expecting huge numbers (Maybe 70fwkw at the most?!?)

Was VERY surprised to see this...

EDIT: Would help if I posted the right graph!

img003.jpg