How terrible are starfires??

minimun

Sold my truck and just looking at new shit to buy.

Wanted an old commodore for years and i know all the 6's are good so what about the 2/3 6's???

I never really balls anything so would only be for country roads and milling around.

Worth a punt or stay clear?

is it just the old "its shit because of the good sixes you can get" type bagging that goes with them?
That is exactly right man. My engine is in particularly good shape and its manual as well, which I think helps a great deal. I would steer clear of auto ones for sure. The other thing is that I had read a lot of stuff from the e-net and talked to a couple of people who had owned them who ripped them out straight away, and no one had anything good to say. I was expecting it to be an absolute gutless pig, but really its just a relatively gutless pig. It sits on 100km easy with a 4 speed, will wind past that without any trouble but revving quite hard. Passing and hills should be avoided where possible. :lol:

It is much faster than a Chevette, which was my benchmark requirement.

Are there still plenty of then around for taking a part and getting bored?

Everyone rips them out, generally people can't sell them and I've noticed there usually one on trademe, or T and E, but I imagine this will dry up at some point because people will probably just not be arsed even trying to sell them.

In saying that, if you were looking at replacing a starfire don't put a starfire back in, or spend a cent on it. I would drop something better in, which is generally very easy to get a hold of. There are many options for upgrades too, which is great. Many of which bolt straight in.

Im down canterbury anyway so hills aren't an issue at all. was amazed by how flat it all is/even more flat now (quake joke)

Plus im coming from an old diesel truck so again speed aint an issue since ive never been used to it. Might pick one up then if the moneys right. Pretty much just want the blue interior and square tach and speedo for making me smile each time i get in

Piece of piss.

You need the front half of the correct 4spd/5spd/auto driveshaft and a 202 sump off a Commodore and also a 202/308 crossmember.

Crossmembers are easy as to come by and much easier than making new mounts.. RB and Starfire crossmembers are different to 202/308 crossmembers both of which will take the 202.

Sumps and Driveshafts are a bit harder to come by but do pop up semi regularly - but it is easier to start with a 202 out of a Commodore rather than a pre Commy 202

Note 1: the studpattern on a 4 cyl (5 x 108) is different to 6 and 8 (5 x 120)

Note 2: 202's bolt up to the same gearbox bolt pattern as a starfire..

Giz link to Commy you bought??

You new whip looks bloody good and should be a sweet deal..

My rims are 5 x 108 15" steels - love the look of them IMO..

I want to make em wider but I have a line on some 17" steels in 5 x 108 I am trying to sort and if I get them I may sell my 15's....

yeah man cheers hopefully shes a little pearl. Just keen on the blue interior and square gauges haha

If you talking about your wagon in your signiture looks tops. Where do you find those 5x108 steels, im complete newb and finding hard-to-find wheels.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=320492331

Fuck completely forgot about the 5x108, been a bastard to get rims for them as thats the same as torana, though this means could roll hubcaps, chrome rim bands and whitewalls on commy haha

You goin on holiday?

Sweet whip man. Change nothing but rims and ride height.

haha yeah bro im picking this to be my joke of the holiday(vacation). Thats what im thinking its nice enough to be choice with just slight rim altering and 5LaMm3D. Pretty chuffed with it, cant wait to see it in the flesh haha

yeah man cheers hopefully shes a little pearl. Just keen on the blue interior and square gauges haha

If you talking about your wagon in your signiture looks tops. Where do you find those 5x108 steels, im complete newb and finding hard-to-find wheels.

Mine are off a Volvo 850 from memory.. I rung a European car wrecker and picked them up got em for $280 I think (included 2 OK and 2 good tyres)

yeah man found that they on old ovlovs but never got bothered to find any bar trademe. Let me know if you gonna sell them and ill see if i have enough ash tray coins gathered.

sweet thing about the car is its in welly so will have to drop off at horopito on the way home. Such a good excuse