conditioning leather?

ms53_wagon

Hey,

Anyone have any idea on some products that can "feed" or help repair small cracks in leather? got a AE82 NZ GT twincam 16 (liftback) with the classic deteriorated front leather seats! actually not too bad but lots of small hairline type cracks.

Ive heard that you can condition it and the cracks will reduce and the leather become softer? I'm just not sure what product to use

cheers

Dan

Any automotive leather conditioner or hide food should soften the leather, try to avoid anything with silicon or waxes in it as they stop the leather from breathing and make future conditioning difficult.

I use leatherique (you need to order this from the US but its really good if a little expensive) my leather felt like cardboard before I used this but now its nice and soft.

If the conditioner works properly the leather should plump up a bit and the hairline cracks should become less prominent. You can fill these in but you need to use filler pastes which would be difficult on perforated vinyl and you'd also need to re-dye the seats to blend it in. I redyed my car seats but they were 40 years old and a bit past it, it was a big job though.

Don't use saddle soap on car leather its not the same as saddles bridles etc.

Neems oil is an excellent leather conditioner however it tends to rot the stitching so I'd avoid it too.

If you are in Christchurch I can give you some autoglym leather cleaner and conditioner that I don't use anymore, or you can try the leatherique stuff out to see if you want to get some.