Volvo 2.5 twincam

R100

Are there any Volvo people on here. I have a boat with a volvo AQ 171C engine in it. From what ive been told it is just a marinised car engine. My engine needs to be pulled down as it doesnt turn over, suspect stuck valve.

Can anyone help me with identifying my engine and what car it originated from.

Below are a few pics of what it looks like.

Its a 16 valve twin cam 2.3 or 2.5 ? liter petrol with twin down draft carbs. Has AQ171C on it.

I have found a few pics on the net with what looks to be the same engine in a car, but they are all engine bay pics.

Boat engine

aq171c1.jpg

Car engine

16V_top.jpg

I think it's just a stroked up B230/B234 from the 240/740 series. The head is the same as in the cars, the only great difference being the crankshaft and pistons. IIRC, if you're going to put the marine crank in a car engine, you need to grind out the block a bit or else it won't rotate freely. And somewhere close around that place is an oil channel...

If you can find a serial number i can help as i work for volvo penta here in auckland.

*EDIT

Should be able to tell you the history of that engine as well if the boat was built in NZ

That would be marvelous. I will try find the serial number this weekend. Im pretty sure it was built in NZ. I know a bit of its history but only back a few years.

I dont know a hell of alot about the volvo engines, but when i first saw it the word "turd" came to mind.

Ive been told rebuilding them are hellish expensive. The boat was running fine up to 3 years ago where its been parked up ever since, now engine wont turn a full revolution without seizing. I suspect its a stuck valve.

If it cost too much to fix ill just repower the boat. Need at least 150hp though. Was thinking a 2LT toyota diesel maybe ? I dunno.

If you can find a serial number i can help as i work for volvo penta here in auckland.

*EDIT

Should be able to tell you the history of that engine as well if the boat was built in NZ

That would be marvelous. I will try find the serial number this weekend. Im pretty sure it was built in NZ. I know a bit of its history but only back a few years.

I dont know a hell of alot about the volvo engines, but when i first saw it the word "turd" came to mind.

Ive been told rebuilding them are hellish expensive. The boat was running fine up to 3 years ago where its been parked up ever since, now engine wont turn a full revolution without seizing. I suspect its a stuck valve.

If it cost too much to fix ill just repower the boat. Need at least 150hp though. Was thinking a 2LT toyota diesel maybe ? I dunno.

Volvo Penta NZ didn't bring in alot of AQ 171's in to the country, it will be expensive to rebuild and all parts will be ex Sweden as the engine is not that common in nz.

I've seen a lot of people marinise the Nissan patrol engines with great success but it all depends on how much room you have.

Pm me if you need parts.