weber choke and running problems

FuzzayD

I recently dismantled and cleaned my weber as well as having my intake re welded for the brake booster vacuum port also i have changed motors to same type just a different one and at the moment now that it is all reassembled the car won't start or idle unless the choke is fully closed, i think its got a vacuum leak or maybe something is wrong with the cam timing/damaged valves. can someone help me through a couple of tests to help isolate the problem?

motor is a mazda 1300 tc/uc rwd..

is there a way to tell if the problem is air leaking through carb gaskets or intake gaskets? i hear about spraying brake cleaner around the gaskets to locate a gasket leak how does spraying brake cleaner let you find an air leak?

Start the engine and get it running at a steady speed.

Spray brake clean everywhere you have worked, not forgetting the brake booster.

When the engine stumbles or stall when you are spraying in one spot - that is where your vacuum leak is (if you have one)

• 3 months later...

problem seem'd to be that i had left scum all in the wee channels from when i cleaned it. also that being from a 2ltr going onto a 1.3 waS running lean. am still trying to fully rectify this problem but at the moment it only seems to struggle on start up needs a hand held over it i'm guessing the choke plates aren't closing enough or fuck i dunno.

• 2 years later...

problem was actually that my carb had the fuel supply running through a fuel return port.

On a 32/36 webber (dg-dga-dgav..ect) the top two horizontal pipes are fuel return

the ones under and at a 45 degree angle pointing down are fuel supply, most carbs only have one supply fitting drilled.

A common misconception is that the two return opposite eack other are fuel in and fuel out, despite the arrows cast into the carb pointing outwards.