mini motors/boxes

infinite

Ok so have just scored a mini powerd go kart that is fucking awsim! full independent suspention front and rear.

My question is are all mini motors mounted the same and run the same drive axel bolt up setup ect ect? as this has no motor/box but has the custom cutdown axels still.

also what is the best bang for buck mini motor/box how strong are the blocks? e.g turbo heh

There are a couple of different universal/CV options, the block should be OK but the boxes never really seem to take much abuse. Keep your eye out for a clubman 1275 motor and box it probably likely to be the least stuffed. I started out with factory rubber CV's (weak) then on to cooper s units(not quite as weak) and finally changed to metro universals (seem to work ok).

Don't go for an 1100 as your crank will end up in 2 bits if you ask it to any decent sort of RPM.

As far as I'm aware they all mount up basically the same, there are a few differences depending on the gear change set-up, either rod, remote or wand change (yuck). an extra mount off the thermostat housing tends to make the other mounts last a bit longer, commonly known as "an extra engine steady" these can be made/brought pretty cheaply.

personally (and this might sound a bit harsh) i'd measure up the room available and extend the budget, find a crashed GT starlet and fit the 4efte out of one of these, it might be a bit more hassle for a start but by the time you repair all the engine and box issues (even before you consider turbo'ing) you could have the Toyota motor complete with 5 speed in and running.

Sorry for the wall of text etc..

they are pretty fucking heavy

to your questions though, no they arent all the same.

Early ones have universal joints instead of inner CV's. I'm presuming you have the CV ones. In which case I think they are all the same, or close enough. Difference comes in with the shifter some have an Aluminium casing, the length of the shifter, some just have two rods between shifter and box.

Mounting is all generally pretty similar.

Bang for buck, up to you, people just about give away 1000cc engines, 1275 is the best off the shelf but you'd be looking at 500 for something that runs reliably.

pics please