Foreigner with toyota ms63 crown wagon

clouter

Hi everyone ! please allow me to introduce myself :

my name is nick, I live in Montreal (eastern canada) and I own a 1971 toyota crown wagon...

now, the main reason why I signed up on this forum is because I was searching for info on my car (and couldn't find anything) and I stumbled here and found that old school jdm cars were more popular in Australia/New Zealand... I saw a couple of projects here about these cars and I hope I can find some help with my project here

in america, these cars are more rare. In canada, even worse ! I personally bought my crown wagon from California and had it shipped here ! I never saw or heard about one here... when I went to register it, the Crown model wasn'T even in the toyota list ! same thing in every auto parts store, nobody knows what I am talking about when I mention i have a toyota "crown" lol

so... I have no idea how to work on this car and what kind of parts fit on it ! i'm pretty alone here and that's why I signed up here, to get some help with my project and some knowledge...

like I said, mine is a 1971 ms63 wagon, I bought it with a blown 4m engine 3 years ago from a guy in california... the car sat here for 2 years before it got fitted with a 7MGTE from a mk3 supra (alot of custom work : engine/tranny mounts, custom transmission tunnel, intercooler piping, exhaust, driveshaft, oil pan, etc etc etc)... the swap is "done", as in meaning the motor is in the car and it starts, but it's not dyno tuned yet (it has an aftermarket fuel management system)

it's not tuned yet because the car needs alot of things adressed before it can be put back on the road... and that's why I'm here ! and I've spent SO MUCH MONEY ON IT, im kinda broke now !

ok... since the car will now have close to 300 horsepower at the wheels, I am concerned about brakes and suspension ! I've never driven the car yet since i bought it because it came with the engine already blown up...

I saw a project here that had air suspension, I saw some that were lowered...

do you guys have any idea what kind of compatibility this car has with other cars in terms of parts interchangabilty ???? (forget about other crowns or more recent crowns cause they don't exist here lol) are there any companies that make coilovers or something for it ? lowering kits ?

I want to drop the car and have a somewhat firm ride (to be able to handle the power and not throw me in a wall or something)

and about brakes, again, is there any compatibility for brakes other than more recent crowns ??? I've thought about hilux calipers (called 4runner here) since it seems to be the same brake system (the disc is behind the hub)... or do I really need to get something custom made like wilwood ?

my project has been on hold for a very long time because I don't know where to start and I can't find any info on these cars !!!

I want to come up with some sort of plan for my suspension and brakes before I make the first move...

oh yeah.. i am also gonna need an adjustable panhard rod I suppose ?

anyways, hit me up ! thanks in advance !!!

Nick

p.s. sorry about my english I hope you can understand me (french is my first language !)

The brakes on the crowns are already pretty beefy, but mashing some units on from a later model (buy from japan) shouldn't be too hard to do.

Any suspension shop should be able to do a good job of lowering the car, the suspension is pretty standard. Adjustable panhard would be a good idea, or convert to a watts linkage.

Hit up ebay and yahoo japan for parts, ya can usually find the hard to get trim bits from there.

The brakes on the crowns are already pretty beefy, but mashing some units on from a later model (buy from japan) shouldn't be too hard to do.

Any suspension shop should be able to do a good job of lowering the car, the suspension is pretty standard. Adjustable panhard would be a good idea, or convert to a watts linkage.

Hit up ebay and yahoo japan for parts, ya can usually find the hard to get trim bits from there.

hmmm, I have a bit of a difficulty navigating in yahoo japan, because of the language barrier :cry:

does anyone have the specs of the suspension and brakes ?

like the shock length,

spring length and diameter

the distance between the caliper mounting holes,

the brake rotor diameter, offset, thickness and bolt pattern (the number of bolts to hold it on the hub)

even if the brakes are "beefy"... they are still not even vented discs so I'm afraid of them warping if I slam the brakes at 150km/h

another thing, do you guys have access to maintenance parts like ball joints, tie rod ends, etc ?

I went to the dealer a year ago and the only parts they "could maybe have" were like brake pads :rolleyes:

Yeah can't read Japanese either, I just type 'MS60' and browse by the pictures.

You'd be pretty keen to take the wagon to 150kph... They wouldn't be very stable at that speed. Suspension mods will definitely be a major.

We'll be pulling my mates brakes apart to recon them, will try and get some measurements.

As for balljoints and whatnot, haven't yet tried. I think they are still available, but the idiots who work in our parts stores are all :| when you ask them

yea MS112 vented fronts are the easiest upgrade, newer than that works but can stuff the geometry of the front end up. Also HQ front hubs and callipers go on and are fairly sizeable. All of this is not easy stuff to get for you though!

We have most maintenance parts available. Lower ball joints are plentiful, uppers no so much but they can be found. Tie rods, inner and outer are available, you can get a new pitman arm from oz I think, theres one on yahoo aswell.

• 2 weeks later...

sup

i've been working on my 4runner today and i thought about measuring the caliper mounting holes

they are 89-90mm apart... I think the crown calipers have the same mounting measurements ???? can anybody confirm plz !

it's the only measure i could take cause i dont have my tools with me to take the wheel off and measure rotor diameter etc

if the crown calipers are 89-90mm then maybe I may be on something =)