FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- (Mercedes starting problems

MichaelJFox

Finally got my car back, after a year, everything done cowboy as fuck.

But I'm trying to get the fucken' thing started, but it just keeps cranking over without sputtering into life.

Found the dizzy cap was on 180 degrees wrong, switched that back and plugs accordingly.

Took the spark plugs out and cleaned them due to be covered in fuel from attempts, took it out and looked if they were sparking properly, did for a while then seamed to die down, swapped coils over and seamed to be a solid good spark. But then plugged everything in and tried, nothing. Took spark plug back out to test the spark and fuck all happened.

Carb is squirting fuel, had a look at that. My only thoughts left are the timing is years out?

Got an auto electrician friend coming to have a peek on Saturday, but thinking I may have missed something thought I'd ask for some info.

SWEET.

Yeah, Will get sparky to look at timing.

But we lost spark randomly after cranking it over a few times, we'd run it with one spark plug and see a spark, then plug them all in and try run it, fuck all would happen so I'd take the first plug out to check it again, and nothing =/

As I said we even swapped coils etc.

They had it running in Auckland at the shipping place even with the dizzy cap not on properly so I can't figure out why its being a cunt here.

See if the coil is sparking sweet. Pull coil lead from dizzy and put a sparkplug in there. If the coil is giving sweet sparks then it could be you dizzy cap or rotor. If coil is giving a weak, unreliable spark, then it could be points or condenser or such.

I had this exact same problem with my jag. Would give intermittent spark at the plugs. Sometimes it would be sweet (usually when i was testing it grrr) but every now and then it would be super weak/no spark. So i checked coil feed and it was giving the fattest, most reliable spark ever. Tried a different dizzy cap and rotor and bam, started sweet.

Tis an easy test.

Got a solid spark, and new plugs now.

But every time it tries to fire it just throws a shit load of fuel out the top of the carb?!

Guy who did this horrible conversion swears he had it running so timing can't be so far out that it doesn't fire.

Any info would be awesome cos' I'm getting so sick of this cunting thing.