manifold gasket issues

Cazza

lol it definately doesnt have a turbo. nah no blockages.

did have the exhaust rehung and put in flexi and it all looks pretty good but yeah i will definately have a look at the extra brace option.

uterus- it ALWAYS blows straight up the top of #4. everytime.

• 2 weeks later...
Brace your exhaust to your bellhousing, it can make a huge difference.

I had issues with an older set of extractors on my old van that kept snapping within an inch of number 4 port, I added a fairly heavy brace to the bellhousing which cured the problem.

I also had the same prob as you with blowing the gasket at number 4 with brand new extractors, again a brace solved the problems.

anyone have a photo of their braces for this that i can have a gander at/blatantly copy?

Be different depending on exhaust.

A strap of steel bolted between gearbox and an exhaust clamp would do the trick.

totally..

most are bolted to one of the bellhousing bolts.

an easy model:

get a saddle clamp (exhaust clamp) and put it on the front pipe roughly next to the bellhousing(dont tighten the clamp all the way up yet).

take a bit of flat bar 25-40mm wide and 5-8mm thick and however long youll need it.

drill a hole in one end big enough for a bellhousing bolt to go through.

measure how far away from the bellhousing the saddle clamp is and make a right angle bend so the flat bar sits against the saddle clamp base when its bolted to the bellhousing.

then weld the flat bar to the saddle clamp base.

i can take some pics of one and put them up tomorrow if you like..

i have 3 hilux's booked in for exhaust jobs tomorrow...most popular for repairs these things but they do usually have good clamps/brackets...

lastly tighten the saddle clamp bolts(do this last)... done

I had similar problems with a GTO where the cast manifold (4 into 2) joins to a pipe 2 into 1 section before joining the exhaust pipe proper. I tried a brace (original), no brace, flexi section, new 2 into 1 pipe section, surface planing ....etc. The joint would only last about 4 weeks Max :twisted: It didn't matter what I did until I threw the cast manifold away and made some 4-2-1 headers. I have not had a problem since (3 years) :D .

Did your old manifold blow in the same place as the replacement you are now using?

i can take some pics of one and put them up tomorrow if you like..

thankyou for the instructions! will totally be following those this wknd- but yes if you could get photos then that would be super helpful also :D (like i said-im a bit of a munce when it comes to engineering-need all the "paint-by-numbers" kinda help that i can get...

I had similar problems with a GTO where the cast manifold (4 into 2) joins to a pipe 2 into 1 section before joining the exhaust pipe proper. I tried a brace (original), no brace, flexi section, new 2 into 1 pipe section, surface planing ....etc. The joint would only last about 4 weeks Max :twisted: It didn't matter what I did until I threw the cast manifold away and made some 4-2-1 headers. I have not had a problem since (3 years) :D .

Did your old manifold blow in the same place as the replacement you are now using?

nah old manifold didnt used to blow- replaced it cause it had massive cracks all through it :(