vr4 gearbox

LILVR4

yeh as fuel said, im pretty sure that you'll find that one of the shift linkages will have come lose from its mounting point on top of the gearbox. Its happened numerous times in my galant and its always been the same story, of one of the clips coming loose or completely falling off.

VR-4s always have sloppy shifters its one of the things I really dislike about mine. Basically you need to replace all the bushes including all the ones in the shifter mechanism to make it like new again, and even when new they still are a bit sloppy. Most people do away with the rubber insulating washers and solid mount the shifter cradle to the floor which helps alot and you can buy aftermarket solid bushes for both the shifter and the gearbox end of the cables from the states to get rid of the slop. Apparently you can use skateboard bearings pressed into the gearbox end of the shifter cables.

If you've checked the cable bracket is still bolted in place and the cables aren't loose and the shifter movement is excessive (ie: more than normal) it'll be because the 36mm nuts on the end of the two gear shafts are loose - as I said on m-sport.