Wheel clearance, ford econovan...

hutchwilco

hey fellas,

I just got myself an 88 ford econovan LWB which had (i think factory) 14inch rims. needless to say they looked shithouse, I just picked up some old steel (i think landcruiser) mags that are 16inch.

I've put them on, and they "fit", but I'm a little worried about the clearance in the front wheel wells, they're definitely a little close - my question is: how close is too close?

the clearance from the top of the tire to the well rim is only about 40mm, clearance at the 3 o'clock position is only about 15 mm.

I'd ask a pro, but everything is closed and damnit, new years public holiday day on monday! I'm heading out on a two week roadtrip in the van so wanna get a go-no go by Monday. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'll go test drive it...

Too close is when it rubs.

There is not really such a thing as too close.

15mm is close enough to a mile in wheel fitment terms lol

If it rubs, hit the place where it rubs with a hammer.

Increase size of hammer until it no longer rubs.

If it rubs chassis / some important suspension component... I would just reduce steering lock.

Too close is when it rubs.

There is not really such a thing as too close.

15mm is close enough to a mile in wheel fitment terms lol

If it rubs, hit the place where it rubs with a hammer.

Increase size of hammer until it no longer rubs.

If it rubs chassis / some important suspension component... I would just reduce steering lock.

you sound very wise, i would take his advice..

guys chuck 18s on them...most only rub on the front guard lips, thats were a hammer really helps.

Ok sweet so a bunch of you agree- I'm being a pussy. I don't make a habit outta putting big wheels on cars but this van just looked stupid with oreos for wheels.

I'm still a tad concerned that the travel in suspension means my tyres will hit the body when I hit a bump (it's loaded with camping/bed stuff) at 120km/hr and shred the tyre and leave me in the paddock upside down. I'm not that keen on panel beating a space for the wheel, but it seems the only thing it hits is the plastic mud guard...

these wheels I have are 225/75/R16s so remember they're not low prof... they're 16inch rims with big tyres... am I still being a nancy?

ha yeah ok I guess the size of the wheel is an important piece of info...

here's photos,

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

although they looked mint on there, I've taken them off for now cos I don't want dramas for this trip... think I'll clean them up and sell them once I get back... anyone in Welly keen?

cheers for the feedback