ThreeOnATree 1984 Rover SD1 2600SE

Yay, page 2!

Not getting the same adrenaline rush from your usual extreme sports? Try this.

Take one Rover, find a large, glossy, mainstream testing centre, apply fifty bucks and wait and see if you get a WOF. :wink:

I didn't. The Rover's now even less road legal than when it last failed - they found one of the seatbelts is starting to shred along its length. :x

This is now in addition to the lower balljoint play which is apparently pretty excessive.

I should be happy, of course, that they didn't notice or take issue with all the other stuff I know about...

Where am I going to get a blue seatbelt? :smurf:

Can't put one of another colour in, that'd devalue the car! :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I gave my hookup a holla and he hit me with a blue seatbelt from one of the 'about 25' SD1s he has in pieces up in Whangarei. He also collects 'Austin, Armstrong-Siddeley, Daimler, Jaguar, Wolselely and Vanden Plas cars'. :shock:

The belt isn't identical (UK import vs NZ-assembled?) but at least it's blue. :wink:

I also sourced a brand new lower arm (with balljoint) and got a garage to fit it. The testing station guy tried to explain how I could drill access holes through which to grease the balljoints, tap them and fit grease nipples or something.. but the important part was that now I have a WOF! :D

And the rego is back off hold! :compress:

OK, now what? :|

I bought this big blue boat, so I suppose now is where I try to use it to go places.

I took the car out christmas shopping to burn through some of the months-old fuel, and got reacquainted with some of the car's many faults. Lousy electrics, play where the steering passes through the firewall, and the requirement to drive around a juddery clutch and a clunky noisy drivetrain.. But the Rover has now visited my favourite underground carpark, which features super-smooth concrete all slippery from the rain.. :twisted:

Next plan is to find some stops on the carbs to allow me to bodge the 200rpm idle up to a more reasonable level until I can get the car tuned properly.

Plus do an oil change, a head bolt retorque, and get antifreeze back in the cooling system. Then see if the motor blows up when I use more throttle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Next plan is to find some stops on the carbs to allow me to bodge the 200rpm idle up to a more reasonable level until I can get the car tuned properly.

Plus do an oil change, a head bolt retorque, and get antifreeze back in the cooling system. Then see if the motor blows up when I use more throttle.

So I did all this, plus I found Repco have red plug leads, and I tied up the steering column with cable ties to stop it knocking about due to the disintegrated bush in the firewall. :oops:

The head bolts didn't require much effort to back off slightly compared to when I first undid them. I then got a quarter of a turn out of them all when torquing them back up. I also found and picked out a little screw which I half suspected I'd dropped into the valvetrain area last time. :oops:

What happens when I drive the car a bit harder? Well. A people mover was ahead of me going onto an onramp today, so I switched lanes and accelerated past him before the merging point. This was the most revs I've used since getting the car back on the road.

But as soon as I was on the motorway, the car started to lose power! :shock:

Did I give the old barge a hemmorhage?

I checked my mirrors for clouds of smoke. There weren't any.

I applied more throttle. The car continued to slow down! :silent:

I had to shift down two gears to make it up the next hill, hazard lights going. The people mover guy probably felt very smug as he drove past. :(

I got off the motorway, and at the next lights the car idled badly for a bit then sorted itself out (relatively speaking). The power returned until the next time much throttle was required.

Guessed yet? :scratch::bounce:

An old fuel filter was to blame. The pump couldn't suck enough through to supply the mighty Big Six under sustained periods of awesome power.

Once this issue developed, it got worse fast. I abandoned ideas of driving back home over the harbour bridge, and found a mechanic who hammered a screwdriver through the fuel filter for me to make it a straight-through high flow design. :lol:

Car goes fine now. New filter on the way. Car finally makes induction noise through new air cleaners when throttle is over half down. Post needs photos.

badge_before.jpg..apply a little paint..

badge_after.jpg

front34_2.jpg

Hatch leaks in the rain. Upturned sub woofer starts to fill up like an oonst oonst bird bath. :doubt:

Three days before I go back to work, I finally got my summer road trip. I packed up the Rover and set off, but a couple of miles down the motorway I discovered the fuel filter hadn't been the (only) cause of fuel starvation. :rolleyes: The stuttering returned.

It was mid afternoon, and if I'd turned around and gone back, fired up the Alfa and swapped all my luggage over to that, I wouldn't have reached my destination before dark. So I just kept going.

Driving the Rover with that fuel starvation / mandatory economiser issue was frustrating and not very relaxing. Like an old video game where you had to build up your energy meter to execute a finishing move, I had to build up my fuel reserves in the carb float bowls by coasting along with the clutch in wherever possible. Then on every hill I'd try to pick the right gear and throttle angle to make best use of my savings. I could average no more than about 80kph, less on hilly sections. This could probably be equated to an average horsepower of 50 or so. Not fun, but I got there in the end.

Next day I looked under the hood and almost immediately spotted a kinked section of rubber fuel hose. :rolleyes: My fault too, due to the way I'd suspended the fuel pump / meter / rail with one or two cable ties after removing the factory intake chamber they normally mount on. Mucking about with the fuel filter the other day (see previous post) must have just moved this particular piece of hose back into a straighter position, removing the kink until next time things shifted around enough.

I got some wire and tied things up until they worked.

The trip home went well.

Observations:

• [*:rkxtjo8e]Unless I'm still down on power for some reason (I can think of a few), the 2600 takes a bit of a kicking to keep speed up on the open road sometimes
    [*:rkxtjo8e]It gets a bit coarse at higher revs
    [*:rkxtjo8e]Existing rear suspension must go, and giant steering wheel too, in order to fix handling.
    [*:rkxtjo8e]In its present form, the Rover would get walked on by the Alfa
    [*:rkxtjo8e]At least it looks pretty good. :P

kkchurch12bws.jpg

http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/rover/church/kkchurch1s.jpg

http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/rover/church/kkchurch4s.jpg

http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/rover/church/kkchurch5bws.jpg

http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/rover/church/kkchurch6s.jpg

http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/rover/church/kkchurch8s.jpg

http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/rover/church/kkchurch10bws.jpg

rover2s.jpg

http://www.axys.co.nz/ben/rover/church/rover1s.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Something has clicked in the car and its idle has improved noticeably. I had to undo my throttle preload because when the trouble self-corrected, the car started to idle at close to 1500rpm.

But after, like, two whole months (during which time fuel economy was in the region of 11~12l/100km), it's looking like the head gasket problem is returning. Twice now in my regular checks of the coolant reservoir I've found it full and under considerable pressure. A bit disappointing but not entirely unexpected.

I've also noticed that if I'm waiting at the lights for a while then I accelerate 'rapidly', the guy behind me often gets a bit of a smoke cloud, probably oil.

So now those same choices return:

Sell the car (will probably lose me the least money in the long run)

Buy that second hand Rover six and install it, fixing clutch at the same time (moderate difficulty, low cost)

Get a Rover V8 and convert to that (high difficulty and cost, long time off-road, possibly better long term solution)

Converting to a non-Rover engine is in the too-hard-and-expensive basket.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

O blue Rover arise
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall

Send her victorious
Speedy and glorious

In thee our hopes we trust -
God save us all.

driveway3.jpg

This thing turned 30 parked up in my garage and nobody came to pay their respects.

Today a delay in repairs to my Alfa meant I'll be missing some of Nats, and I scared myself by pulling the SD1 out, washing it and cleaning some of its mould (the interior mould which the evil car sickened me with over New Years).

I need my Alfa finished so I do not have to trailer this to WOF-less whale to Nats, because the trailering part would not be fun at all.

Back to your garage, bringer of pain.

• Like 6

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are a couple of pictures of the SD1 as it currently sits. I haven't really driven it much, mainly to and from film shoots around Auckland where the car has started to pay for itself.

I do however take it for the odd howl around the local airport. It really is a shame that the 2.6 six cylinder can never be properly fixed. It's noisy and truck-like at low revs but sounds like a 1960s Italian GT car when my foot is deep in the blue carpet. I would love to keep it six cylinder but I just know that it will fail spectacularly. Because the car is actually really enjoyable to drive, I want it to be at least reliable enough to take away on weekends. So the V8 will have to do the job.

IMG_3065_zpslywehuc9.jpg

IMG_3064_zpsrohqowlx.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And that concludes the filming work for my Series Two SD1. It is now parked in the corner of the shed awaiting the V8 conversion process to begin.

I now have to strip and dispose of the yellow Series One SD1 and then work on my Morris Minor and VW Golf. So there won't be much progress on the Series Two SD1 until the new year.

I'll still fix a couple of small issues on it and have a little list to work through:

- Boot struts don't hold up the hatch

- Drivers' window does not go up or down

- Wiper stalk is broken

- Trip computer is missing some buttons

- Steering column bush is missing

- Horn inoperative

- One rear wheel cylinder is seized

- Rear air shocks leak

- Rust below front windscreen

- No radio fitted to car (will find a suitably 1980s one)

- Fix centre console by returning it to original specs

- Tighten up both wing mirrors

- Replace gearbox oil

- Replace right rear tyre due to excessive one wheel peels by previous owner  :wink:

- Align headlights and spotlights

- Fix broken switches on instrument cluster

- Clean the car properly

Just a few things...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Back to the Barley Yellow Series One SD1:

We had a bit of an SD1 stripping party at the shed and removed a few bits and pieces from the car, namely everything:

24418482842_fc7d2c7f96_k.jpg493 by Neal OnTheTree

I then used traditional methods of a fence post and some tyres to remove the entire front subframe, complete with engine and transmission.

24231216270_b26c5675e5_k.jpg552 by Neal OnTheTree

23898579854_d4232eff17_k.jpg554 by Neal OnTheTree

The last job was to remove the entire rear axle assembly. These cars use a torque tube differential setup with is a pain to remove compared to a conventional live axle.

So I jacked the car up on one side, cut and unbolted everything I need to and then did the same on the other side. It worked and the rear end slid out without too much fuss.

24231199270_980fffd8ff_k.jpg556 by Neal OnTheTree

24526743235_81b3e5cf4c_k.jpg558 by Neal OnTheTree

24526709725_0496ef7b67_k.jpg568 by Neal OnTheTree

In keeping with the Oldschool theme, my Blue Series 2 SD1 requires some brake parts on the rear. So rather than purchase new parts, I am going to rob them from the rear end I removed from the yellow car. 

• Like 3