1jzgte fuel pump question

FLAWLES

This may be long winded so bear with me

where to begin

i am in the process of changing over fuel pumps from the 1jzge one to the 1jzgte fuel pump

my question is the fuel computers

the tourer V ( 1jzgte ) verson of my car has what the call a fuel pump resistor of sorts but the tourer s ( 1jzge and my chassis ) does not have this

i know there is some form of mod you do to the pumps to make them run at a higher voltage ( think i got that right )

has this fuel pump resistor have something to do with this?

will it effect me/stop me from changing over pumps and driving the car?

I must disagree with the posters advising to run without current limiting. this WILL work but is not ideal and may even shorten the life of your fuel pump, depending on your fuel injection;'s electrical system.

the resistor is likely used for current limiting. pumps are a simple electric motor and should be current limited if you have fuel pressure in excess, so as to prevent the insulation breaking down on the windings, or other deleterious effects from excessive current. measure the resistance of your fuel pump and apply some ohms law:

(values are theoretical)

pump = 1.0 Ohm

voltage = 13.5v

ohms law:

I = V / R

I = 13.5 / 1 = 13.5A <-- fuel pump using 13.5A == overworked pump or magic smoke, it ideally should use less current.

the fuel pumps i've seen which measure 1 - 3 ohms are a simple electric motor with no built-in resistor, thus require current limiting. they DO work without a current limiting resistor but if you just spent money on a new fuel pump then you will probably want to look after it.

goto jaycar or dse and buy some 30-Watt wire-wound-type resistors (or carbon film if you can dissipate the heat). install say a 68 ohm in series with the fuel pump and you should notice the pump quiet down, ensure your fuel pressure is still adequate. if this reduced the fuel pressure too much, replace with another, lower resistance resistor or put another 68 ohm in parallel with the first resistor because R = 1 / (R1 + R2 + R3, etc)

many OEM fuel injection systems already incorporate a current limit system which may be why some posters assume it is ok to run one without current limiting. additionally, aftermarket fuel pumps can have a built-in current limiting resistor and that is common for older-style add-on/external fuel pumps. just measure the DC resistance! it will be 1-3 ohms without a current limiting resistor.

further reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff%27s_circuit_laws

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm%27s_law

I wouldn't have given the advise if I hadn't played with these pumps before, If jarred just asked the guy who is putting the pump in he wouldn't have to ask here

The 'resistor' is a fuel pump computer that controls its speed. The engine ECU outputs a PWM signal which tells the fuel pump computer how hard to run the pump. Under full throttle full battery voltage is given to the pump, at cruise and idle speeds its is proportionately run at lower voltages/speeds.

As the pump is behind the passenger seat is is not ideal to have it running full flow & making excessive noise at cruise speeds. Also It improves pump life.

The same fuel pump is used in cars with and without the fuel pump computer (checked from EPC and pulling apart a few over the years) and with out any external resistance. Running with an external resistor will mean his pump will be flowing less than toyota intended under full load

The computer also has the ability to do pump fault diagnosis and is connected to a inertia switch to kill the pump in a crash

Barfs concerns were warranted, I agree with him butthe original question wasn't worded well, its not a concern for this particular pump. And cheers for your ever helpful 2c ned

why is this thread here? i'm putting the fucking thing in

burn cunt no your not i am

it only has one plug so i think im sweet

also yea sorry i suck at explaning things when it comes to car shit............tractors no worrys

after looking at the epc a few times then at my car............scratching my head i dont even have the wiring loom for the resistor anyhow so its really not an issue

all i really wanted to know was

would it be safe/ok/work if i just put it it, as everything between the tourer s and v fuel system ( bar injectors and pump and resistor ) are the same

yes the answer is so its sweet

if this pump does shit it self its no bigy as they are cheap anyway, or i will go get a higher lpm bosch unit for not much more than what i paid for this pump