ca18 datsun cherry, or other possibilities?

samii

my mate has just become the proud owner of an old datsun cherry100A and is looking into putting another engine in it as he's wanting a bit more speed from it.

someone said a FWD ca would be a good choice, but just wondering if anyone else knows of any other conversions that have been done or could be worthwhile looking into?

thanks, samii.

The motor from the sunny may be a tiny bit different in the mount department, but an A15 wont be hard to fit. If you'd like some ideas about making an A series go hard, try www.datsun1200.com.

But a brief over veiw would be a lumpy cam, shaved head, (oval port from an A15, but you should be using an A15 anyway) Dual valves springs (Kelford Camtech can supply these) And headers. (you might have to make these, I don't know that off the shelf headers exist in nz for the FWD A series) And either a pair of 40mm delorto's or just a 32/36 webber. It all been done before though. It's not even that hard to turbo these motors.

is the a15 not a rwd engine(out f a sunny or something)? or is it fwd also?

I could be wrong but from memory the A10 FWD spec has a different crankshaft at the flywheel end. The gearbox is like a mini setup and is mounted under the engine so you can't bolt an A15 up to it cos the method of mounitng the clutch/flywheel is very different.

My memory could be skewed from doing too many Austin clutches cos the last time I did a clutch in a Cherry was around 15 (or more) years ago.

Good call KK, I forgot all about the whole sump thing. 510wgn's father in law (Ross the GC) has a dirty old cherry (Or had?) so I should have rememebered that.

That being the case, you could try to see if the cherry bits would clear on an A14, or else just strap a T2 turbo on it.