What sort of alloy rod needed for head Welding

Seedy Al

start with 4031. alloy heads are pretty good quality material so you might find 5000 series rods work better. i think you'll have to suck it and see TBH. it will more than likely bend like a banana, so try to get it as hot as you can before you start welding.

sheepers.

true........ very interesting, but yes, cleaning up best as ever is pretty much basic princable for any alloy welding

So sweet, may have found a head anyway but will see what happens.

Wonder what warming the head up first does......

I assume it has something to do with the porous - ness of cast , and the heat warpage.

I took it to the engine rebuilders, and they suggested to just take it to a local alloy fence builder. Sadi they had done it before and looking at about $20 haha

Allan

the pre heat does two things, it tries to minimise distortion by making the whole thing hot enough to allow it all to contract (after welding) at a similar speed.

but the more important thing it does is allow your weld to be more uniform from start to finish. with something like a head which is a huge heat sink, you start you weld by pouring masses of current into the job to get the weld started, but having little or no penetration, as you go along and the job heats up and you need less current to get a proper weld pool but you find the current you set the machine to at the start of the weld is too great, and no matter how much you back off the pedal or move the torch away or what ever, your weld starts to sink and you have to stop because the whole area is about to fall away. you get a weld that is very different in appearance and strength from one end to the other.

pre heating big things is a good idea.

any help??

sheepers.