Shortening a diff. What kind of costs are involved

lowrota

shortening diff case is fairly straight forward. not really a hard job. its the axles themselves that are the problem. some diffs you can get away with trimming the ends off them, (depending how much shorter your going) as some have extra spline up the axles that isnt being used. other wise will need to be shortened by choping the ends off and getting a new spline cut into the axles. this can only be done in some cases as well, depending on axle design and how much your shortening them. last option is to cut and weld. which is not the best way as will weaken the axles when they are welded. i used the cut and weld method on kp. but used 4X axles to make 2. some pics in my project thread from memory..

how far do you need to shorten it by? VG's don't have the happiest guard clearance in the rear. I know a bloke with a sweet VG coupe who had a bit of material removed from the inside of the mag to gain a bit of tyre clearance. I was talking to a guy from Wellington with a VG at the drags one time. He said he'd actually moved his spring hanger mounitng points (or somesuch) inboard to get more tyre clearance.

I haven;t fucked with a fail-by-design borg warner diff for ages, but I think there is extra spline on the axles that you might be able to use. But I don't think you'll be able to go too much shorter without having spring problems.