AE86 Axle Lengths

Vintage Grumble

I just read on a site that LSD T-series diffs have different length axles to the open type?? Has anyone ever read this, or seen it for them selfs? Just checking it out, as im about to have a open diff made up to use till I get a new LSD. I know the dia of the axle at the splines is diff between the face lift and non face lift cars, but ive never read anything else about the length being different? Any info would be mean. Cheers.

Cheers for that! So, would be fine to put an open head in a factory LSD diff, but, if you put an LSD in a diff that came factory with an open head, you would need to shorten the axles. So as mine was factory LSD, I should be sweet putting the open head in, if each axle is only a little bit shorter, it wont matter fuck all I guess?

With all the cluthc plates in the LSD the splines are slightly shorted, otherwise the ends smash into the guts. When you buy a TRD diff it comes with jap instructions about how much to shorten them by. its only like 3 or 4mm. I knocked the end of mine with a 1mm cutting disc on an angle grinder. It only needs a slither.